T Setup

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Is this set-up ok? Also, what inexpensive, not loud space heater do you guys use? This one is a little loud for my liking.

image.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Whoa, I wouldn't have that heater pointed right at the enclosures. Yes, I see you've made a path, but it's still not a great plan. Point it away. As for something quieter, look into an oil heater.

All of your enclosures look fine other than the bottom left one - lose the mesh lid. Tarantulas can get caught in the mesh, and many can easily chew through it. Also, ditch all of the gauges you have for temperature and humidity. Not only are they often wildly inaccurate, but they're also unneeded even if they were accurate. Not to mention, a gauge on the outside of an enclosure wouldn't do anything. Rule of thumb: if the temperature is comfortable for you, then it's good enough for the spiders.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Alright thanks!

---------- Post added 11-28-2015 at 09:40 AM ----------

Oh, and also are temps of lower 60's to 70's ok? (Lower 60's at night 70's in the day)

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Oh, and also are temps of lower 60's to 70's ok? (Lower 60's at night 70's in the day)
Absolutely, that poses no issues at all. During the winter, don't expect too many molts and expect picky eaters. But, living in California, I wouldn't ever worry about temperature.

cold blood

Staff member
With regards to your temps, it really depends on the species you have and whether or not you have slings. Adults or even juvies of slower growing species like Grammy's, Brachy's and Aphonopelmas for example, will be fine with those temps, but if you have slings (a few of those smaller deli cups make me think some are slings) or species from the more tropical areas of the world, I'd make an effort to get the night temps to 70. You don't have your species listed in your profile or here, so whether its good enough or not is a guess till we know.

I thought the same about the heater, having it that close will really dry those enclosures and fast. I also suggest an oil filled heater, mine keeps the entire room nice and toasty all winter on its low setting, and it makes no noise.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yeah I have some slings.... I think I have a fix though. If I could move all of them into my room it would be a good deal warmer. The only slight problem is that there will be sunlight hitting the enclosures for part of the day. I would definitely move them all back to their original spot once it gets warm again. (I'll post my inverts on my profile tonight.)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yeah I have some slings.... I think I have a fix though. If I could move all of them into my room it would be a good deal warmer. The only slight problem is that there will be sunlight hitting the enclosures for part of the day. I would definitely move them all back to their original spot once it gets warm again. (I'll post my inverts on my profile tonight.)
Alright so here is my setup now. I will probably move a few around to make it look nice lol. You can see my gravid G. Rosea out and about.
image.jpg
Oh, and also I have petroleum jelly making a little "border" on the table legs.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
If the sunlight shines through that window id keep the blinds closed... all of mine live in perpetual darkness and all thrive and seem more active. In order to breed some species thryll need a day/night cycle.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I wouldn't have them in a spot that will ever get direct sunlight, even in the winter. Firstly, they're nto exactly fans of bright lights. Secondly, you'd be surprised how mcuh an enclsoure would heat up from direct sunlight. You have blinds - why not just close them?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't have them in a spot that will ever get direct sunlight, even in the winter. Firstly, they're nto exactly fans of bright lights. Secondly, you'd be surprised how mcuh an enclsoure would heat up from direct sunlight. You have blinds - why not just close them?
Yeah I had them closed I just opened them for the pic lol.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ah, then yeah, you're good! Enjoy your eight legged buddies!

Sana

Arachnoprince
Okay I would like to throw a question in here cause I'm curious. As long as your tarantula has a reasonable hide that they can get out of the sun in, why would having sunlight for part of the day matter? It's not like someone closes the curtains in nature.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Okay I would like to throw a question in here cause I'm curious. As long as your tarantula has a reasonable hide that they can get out of the sun in, why would having sunlight for part of the day matter? It's not like someone closes the curtains in nature.
In the wild spiders tend to stay in there burrows until nightfall, then will wander to mouth of it to ambush a potential prey item. Males will leave at night to look for suitors but will hunker down in a well hidden spot during the day. Some will be seen during the day, but its rare.

cold blood

Staff member
Direct sunlight in the wild if one thing, bearing down on an enclosure is another entirely....those things heat up quickly.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
It's not really the sunLIGHT it's the heat. And I know what your gonna say, they don't get too hot in the wild because of wind and inside their enclosures it's much warmer. not that I'm an expert lol just taking a stab at it.

cold blood

Staff member
It's not really the sunLIGHT it's the heat. And I know what your gonna say, they don't get too hot in the wild because of wind and inside their enclosures it's much warmer. not that I'm an expert lol just taking a stab at it.
Yeah, light alone will simply lead to a t that hides a lot, its the excessive heating of enclosures that is the danger issue:wink:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
On top of what Chris said, you have to remember that we're also closing them in a cage with minimal ventilation. In nature, there is wind, the cool ground, and moisture to keep them cool. We largely take all three of those things away. It's quite similar to locking a dog in a car. If it weren't for the sun, a dog would be just fine in a car, albeit a little cramped.