Augacephalus Enzendami care

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Just saw them and was curious. Never heard of them and the website says they are some of the best starter OWs. Given there really aren't Many "starter" OW (at least from what I've seen), so I would love to know the care and whether this really is true.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Baboons (in general, because those of the west are a bit on the moist side, like Hysterocrates gigas) are very, very easy to keep. They love a dry enviroment (but a water dish must be provided, and always full), at least 7/8 inches of substrate (they love to burrow), a piece of good old cork bark, fake leaves etc as i've said, very easy to keep.

The temperament of those African Theraphosidae is another different story. Yes, they aren't a "bite in your face" like 'OBTs' but you know, nothing is written in stone = temperament vary always.

I personally work pretty well with my Africans with no problems (however i'm very careful when it comes to my adult female Pterinochilus murinus she is lovely and mental) but i don't know your/others experience with fast (Baboons are very fast, trust me) potent venom T's so i can't say if it's a good starter OW for someone.

On a personal note, genus Ceratogyrus is better btw.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
'Starter OW', meaning after you've had experience with a variety of NW's. Lacking the passive defense of urticating hairs, OW's relay on speed, stronger venom, and are much more likely to bite.

cold blood

Staff member
They are good starters because they tend to flee to their burrow quickly instead of standing ground....now individuals will vary, I've raised a lot of ezendami and for the most part this has held true, but I do have one sub-adult female that is as threat posture happy as any t I have...still not very difficult to work with as she was re-housed without issue. They are an exceptionally beautiful baboon, almost like a yellow OBT, but with an even more spectacular carapace. Not the fastest growers, as slings they are unenthusiastic eaters often, but by 2" they become great eaters.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I only have one sling about 1" dls that I have been unable to sex thus far. I was wondering about what size do you begin to notice the sexual size dimorphism between males and females? How big are the males when they mature and about how long does that usually take?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I only have one sling about 1" dls that I have been unable to sex thus far. I was wondering about what size do you begin to notice the sexual size dimorphism between males and females? How big are the males when they mature and about how long does that usually take?

You can vent sex most tarantula species at 2", with a good degree of accuracy.

cold blood

Staff member

I had several males mature in just over a year to a year and a half...they tend to mature small, all mine matured at about 2.25"-2.5"....I would think a 3" MM would be a large one. You won't notice any difference between sexes till the male matures.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
That's with most African species, right/ Fast growers, even faster speed and mature rate is pretty early in too I believe. Exceptions though with that 12 years to mature beast, the P. Muticus.