Pre-molt

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone,

I am pretty sure my Lasiodora Parahybana female is in pre-molt as she is in her hide and closed it up where she normally always was just sitting in the open waiting for food.

I also have 2 B. Albopilosum slings who dug a burrow (they done that for a while already) but now they also have closed the entrance to the burrow, would it be save to assume they are in pre-molt too? The 2 slings are from the same egg sac so I guess it could be possible, right?

Is there anything I should do when a tarantula is in pre-molt? (like extra humidity) or just let it be and wait till they come out of there burrow/hide)

sorry but these would be the first molts since I started keeping tarantula's so I am a bit nervous about if I am doing things right as this is new to me.

thanks,

Andrew

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, Andrew.

I just make sure mine have fresh water available and hope I can catch the show. :) There really isn't anything for you do but but to sit back and let them do their thing. For the LP, you could moisten up part of a corner of the substrate a bit to raise the humidity in the enclosure a little, but mine usually molt no problem regardless. They are both very hardy species.

I hope you get to catch at least one of the molts!

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
Hey,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Yeah I also hope I will catch one in the act but I will already be happy if they make it out okay :D

Chris11

ArachnoBat
If the slings are tiny itd help to give them a nice damp spot of their enclosure too!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Personally, I don't change anything about my care when they're in premolt, with the exception of the omittance of food. Same humidity, same water, same everything. The only thing I really do differently is that I keep a closer eye on the humidity - you definitely don't want it to dry out in there if it's a humid species (which all of yours are, to an extent).

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
About that, will the come out their burrow to drink after they closed it?

---------- Post added 11-29-2015 at 01:39 PM ----------

About that, will they come out to drink of they have closed up their burrow?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If they need to drink, then yes. Just remember: a closed burrow is a "do not disturb" sign.

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
haha :D

Ill give them a DND sign after this molt they can show when they are in their next pre-molt haha :D

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
My LP sling does the exact same thing. Locks itself in the burrow, doesn't eat or come out, and a couple weeks or so later,
comes out after fresh molt, and throws the molt in the water dish. Just offer food, and water and leave it alone

Hey everyone,

I am pretty sure my Lasiodora Parahybana female is in pre-molt as she is in her hide and closed it up where she normally always was just sitting in the open waiting for food.

I also have 2 B. Albopilosum slings who dug a burrow (they done that for a while already) but now they also have closed the entrance to the burrow, would it be save to assume they are in pre-molt too? The 2 slings are from the same egg sac so I guess it could be possible, right?

Is there anything I should do when a tarantula is in pre-molt? (like extra humidity) or just let it be and wait till they come out of there burrow/hide)

sorry but these would be the first molts since I started keeping tarantula's so I am a bit nervous about if I am doing things right as this is new to me.

thanks,

Andrew

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
My LP sling does the exact same thing. Locks itself in the burrow, doesn't eat or come out, and a couple weeks or so later,
comes out after fresh molt, and throws the molt in the water dish. Just offer food, and water and leave it alone
The Luggage closed herself off for 2 months. My husband was sure she was dead. I had to keep assuring him that there was no smell, so all was fine. She eventually emerged, skinny and hungry!