First Repticon Question

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I've been looking for a few juvenile female tarantulas through various breeders and classifieds and haven't really found what I'm looking for yet without placing an ad.

I am going to my first Repticon in Houston in February and was wondering if these have a good selection of sexed juvenile tarantulas for good prices?

The pet store that has better than average care for animals around here has outrageous prices for tarantulas that are 'unsexed' at 3-4 inches, e.g. H. lividum for $160. That was just used as a reference, I don't want something so feisty... yet.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've only been to ~10 shows, so others on here will have better advice, but I've learned you really can't go in with expectations. Yeah, you'll be looking for specific species, but don't really get your hopes up. The dealers will have what they have. However, I've learned that if you ask, they may have one back home that they'd be willing to sell you on the spot which they will then ship to you at a later date. As for good prices? Absolutely.

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
The dealers have pretty good prices, for juveniles. Also, 160 isn't that outrageous, Tarantula Canada sells 2" H. Lividums for 100.
From my expierence, the dealers that you know better tend to give better prices or add in freebies. I got a 10 dollar reduction when buying my 3" P. Irminia from TangledInWebs

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The dealers have pretty good prices, for juveniles. Also, 160 isn't that outrageous, Tarantula Canada sells 2" H. Lividums for 100.
From my expierence, the dealers that you know better tend to give better prices or add in freebies. I got a 10 dollar reduction when buying my 3" P. Irminia from TangledInWebs
Though I'm not sure of its relevance to this discussion, I just found 'confirmed' female h. Lividum for sale for $99 even with overnight shipping $45, it's still cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris11

ArachnoBat
IME most spiders at shows are eensy weensy slingies.... with a few juvies and subadults that are overpriced... watch the "3-4" unsexed deal"

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
IME most spiders at shows are eensy weensy slingies.... with a few juvies and subadults that are overpriced... watch the "3-4" unsexed deal"
Well I'm trying to keep away from the extremely little guys. I don't have the room/accepting wife to allow for me to get three to five slings in order to get one female.

Anyone else have a similar experience with these conventions not really carrying sexed juveniles?

---------- Post added 11-29-2015 at 12:04 PM ----------

I got lucky and got a sexed female G. Pulchripes.
The word 'lucky' tells me that it isn't often that they carry these.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Well I'm trying to keep away from the extremely little guys. I don't have the room/accepting wife to allow for me to get three to five slings in order to get one female.

Anyone else have a similar experience with these conventions not really carrying sexed juveniles?

---------- Post added 11-29-2015 at 12:04 PM ----------

The word 'lucky' tells me that it isn't often that they carry these.
G. Pulchripes are pretty common, I just got lucky with the price and size. 60$ for a sexed 3'' female.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
G. Pulchripes are pretty common, I just got lucky with the price and size. 60$ for a sexed 3'' female.
Oops, though that tarantula is actually on my wish list, I meant to ask if sexed females were rare.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You definitely can find some great deals if you get there early. By far, my best snag was a mature female B. Emilia for $70ish.