Adoption!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Very excited, I had to share. I work right near a PetSmart, and every so often, I go in there only to see if they have any good deals on tarantulas. You all know the story - they don't know what they have, selling it for the price of a rosie. Well, last night I went in and they had a ~4" H. maculata just chilling out, labeled as a "Chilean Pink Toe" with a price tag of $150. No, that's not a typo.

I pulled up a few bite reports of this species (along with pictures of the species to prove my case), called the manager over, and told them what they actually had. You would have thought I told him they had a live grenade for sale. He absolutely flipped, went in the office to call his manager, and came back out with what looked like a typical waver. He said he wanted it out of the store, and if I was willing to sign away my right to sue if I get hurt, I could have it for $1 so he could correct his inventory. That is also not a typo.

Needless to say, I now own a brand new H. maculata. Pics to come as soon as it stops terror-hiding in the cork tube.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Congrats on the luck!!! One day something of this magnitude will come my way.... i know it lol

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
Fantastic! H maculata are one of my personal favorite: so great, beautiful, secretive, impressive. Mine was one of those spiders I was dreaming of, so obsessive with this particular sp. One of my friends, a very good swiss breeder, gave a tiny 1st instar spiderling to me for free when I met him at a convention more than two years ago. I was lucky: she appears to be a female, and is now almost grown-up. I see her every evening and every morning, and she is stunning!

All the best with your new T!

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
...PetSmart? Not a Petco? The cage labels from corporate are all correct and the prices are automatic. PetSmart only sells pinktoes, and they're $20ish. Petco gets more variety.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
...PetSmart? Not a Petco? The cage labels from corporate are all correct and the prices are automatic. PetSmart only sells pinktoes, and they're $20ish. Petco gets more variety.
That I actually don't know. I just lump those two companies together, honestly.

cold blood

Staff member
That was a very good way to go about it with the store/manager :clap::clap:

Radium

Outlaw Valkyrie
Oh dear god. I shudder to think how that would have ended if you hadn't come along.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
That I actually don't know. I just lump those two companies together, honestly.
gotcha, definitely a Petco then. Grats on the snag. H macs were my favorite tarantulas for a long time.

JustSomeDude

Arachnopeon
hahaaa that's great! That's so funny because that's how I got back into collecting! I was in a petco looking for a dog toy when I walked past the display cases and came across a T Stirmi all withered and depleted. I talked to the manager and gave some back round info on the spider and it turned out one of the guys in the store had ordered it because they were bored with the regular stock they have. I unfortunately had to pay 150 for him but it was well worth it. I have plumped him up now and he is absolutely beautiful!

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
How is that possible a "pink toe" at all, H. Maculatas look nothing like a pink toe, it's so funny because people also act like pet stores know it all, even when im in a pet store I can hear people saying "oh yeah he told me to do this" and it's like ridiculous information, my LPS has iguanas, savannah monitors, and 2 ball pythons all in the same enclosure.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Under those circumstances...even I would've immediately snatched the little bugger! Nice catch!