Post-Molt continued Fasting?

Philosoraptor

Arachnopeon
I have an Avic Avic Juvenile (about 2.5 inches) and they molted a week ago. Fang coloration is dark and black and so I offered up a cricket to the Avic (45 days+ fast before molt) and it still doesn't seem interested in eating. Is there something else besides offering up a full-sized live cricket I should try to entice it to eat? Its got such a small abdomen (half the size of its carapace) and while I know the Avic Avic's abdomen tends to be smaller in relation to his carapace anyway I'm still worried about its over-all health. Any advice?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I have an Avic Avic Juvenile (about 2.5 inches) and they molted a week ago. Fang coloration is dark and black and so I offered up a cricket to the Avic (45 days+ fast before molt) and it still doesn't seem interested in eating. Is there something else besides offering up a full-sized live cricket I should try to entice it to eat? Its got such a small abdomen (half the size of its carapace) and while I know the Avic Avic's abdomen tends to be smaller in relation to his carapace anyway I'm still worried about its over-all health. Any advice?
Try using a pre killed cricket.

cold blood

Staff member
A week just may not be enough...the fangs may be black, but the spider doesn't sound ready yet....just give it a few days and offer again, its not gonna starve in a few weeks...my advice...wait.

Philosoraptor

Arachnopeon
Ty you all for the response. I'll wait a few days, just feel so much better when they're eating.

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
Ty you all for the response. I'll wait a few days, just feel so much better when they're eating.
yea my g porteri molted nov 20th, and still hasn't eaten. They fast a lot tho. Some just take a lil longer. Introduce pre killed food, and if it doesn't eat it in a day, remove it and try again in a few days

cold blood

Staff member
For a post-molt spider, unless its tiny, there should be little reason to pre-kill, this is literally their hungriest, most food aggressive period a t goes through...when its ready it will eat.

Dad, ultra slow growers, especially adults, like your rosie, can take a long time to recover, at 10 days I wouldn't even be offering yet for another week, week and a half.

inserirnome

Arachnopeon
Dad, ultra slow growers, especially adults, like your rosie, can take a long time to recover, at 10 days I wouldn't even be offering yet for another week, week and a half.
The same goes for Chacos? They are not as slow as Rosies, but my T is having the same problem. Molted Nov 18th and it seems hard enough, yet it is not interested in the crickets at all. In fact I saw it standing up a bit higher just so a cricket could crawl away below it's cephalothorax and abdomen...

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, but it also depends on size, a 3/4" sling will be ready to eat, a 3" juvie may be borderline, an adult could take weeks.