Smoke exposure

Sana

Arachnoprince
I woke up this afternoon to discover that my roommate had attempted to be helpful and set the oven to a self cleaning cycle to try to clean up a Thanksgiving mess. Unfortunately what she succeeded in doing was filling the house with smoke. I woke up choking and gasping with smoke so thick I couldn't see the other side of the room. All of my pets were exposed, including my not so small collection of tarantulas.

The house has been cleared out now, but it required opening every window in the house and running every fan I could find. So now I've added a second problem to the mix which is temperature. It's currently 19 F outside and the furnace couldn't keep up with the windows open. The bedrooms dropped to about 50 F. And just to make the day more pleasant the smoke permeated everything so even with it gone everything in the house still smells like smoke.

I'm currently attempting to assess the damages. So far all the tarantulas that I have checked are alive. My most immediate worries are temperature, which I am in the process of raising now, and long term issues from the smoke exposure. Is there anything that I can do that might possibly help my spiders to survive this?

cold blood

Staff member
I doubt you will see any adverse effects on the spiders....bet that made for one crappy day though.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Spiders comments trough telepathy among enclosure neighbours:

- "Hope to be listed ASAP in the classifieds, for a change of estate: too noise, smoke and mess lately u_u"
- "True, very true. Quality of life isn't like before! And that breeze, now!"
- 'Sound of other T's approval with their legs up'

Meanwhile, a poor, common slim wandering house spider, looking for start his new home in some corner of the room, check those enclosures with a sad face, like the people who lived under the Iron 'Commie' Curtain in the '80 did with people eating in "tourist only" restaurants.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I agree that you probably won't see any effects of the smoke in your spiders. I would add that you may want to consider changing substrate and cleaning the containers to remove any residual particles that may have settled after the smoke cleared.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Spiders comments trough telepathy among enclosure neighbours:

- "Hope to be listed ASAP in the classifieds, for a change of estate: too noise, smoke and mess lately u_u"
- "True, very true. Quality of life isn't like before! And that breeze, now!"
- 'Sound of other T's approval with their legs up'

Meanwhile, a poor, common slim wandering house spider, looking for start his new home in some corner of the room, check those enclosures with a sad face, like the people who lived under the Iron 'Commie' Curtain in the '80 did with people eating in "tourist only" restaurants.
This......

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
If there is any lingering residue then an enclosure cleaning is likely in order. But as stated above that would be one massively unpleasant and lengthy job.

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
I can't see the temp going down to 50 for a couple hours hurting any T's. They survived millions of years outside in temps I'm
sure have been that and below, one time or another. Smoke and particles in enclosures are the bigger risk, I'd think