Cyriopagopus schioedtei in death curl

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So my c.schioedtei sling molted on thursday and lost a leg during the molt, fri the sling seemed fine and active. I spent the weekend at my gfs and came home to find it in death curl. Ive moved it into a clean deli cup on moist paper towel. Room temp is between 72° and 80° should i raise temp alittle? I dont know what else to do and really want this little guy to pull through. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Jordan

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Death curl is usually a sign of dehydration (wish is more likely after a molt since they lose a lot of fluid during the molting process, why water supply is essential both before and after a molt, especially for slings). Is the substrate kept moist? Does it have access to a waterbowl? A lost leg is usually nothing to worry about unless it's constantly bleeding.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How big a sling is it?
About 1.5"

---------- Post added 11-30-2015 at 01:22 AM ----------

Death curl is usually a sign of dehydration (wish is more likely after a molt since they lose a lot of fluid during the molting process, why water supply is essential both before and after a molt, especially for slings). Is the substrate kept moist? Does it have access to a waterbowl? A lost leg is usually nothing to worry about unless it's constantly bleeding.[/QUOTE

Enclosure is a 32oz deli cup. About 2" of coco husk for substrate kept moist. No water dish atm but gets misted 2-3 times a week

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, if the substrate was/is moist (as you know Cyriopagopus schioedtei, especially slings, are very delicates with no 'dry' tolerance) there's little you can do, Jordan.

Sadly sometimes :poop: happens. Hope the best btw.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, if the substrate was/is moist (as you know Cyriopagopus schioedtei, especially slings, are very delicates with no 'dry' tolerance) there's little you can do, Jordan.

Sadly sometimes :poop: happens. Hope the best btw.
Those were my thoughts as well. So i guess its just a waiting game now

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
At 1.5" it should've already been in a enclosure that is big enough for a water bowl, for Ts that size a small bottle cap will work for a water dish. If it's still alive, try give it a waterbowl with water and place the Ts mouth in it. What you can also try is if you turn it on it's back and use a syringe/eyedropper and place a droplet of water directly on it's mouth.

Sana

Arachnoprince
At 1.5" it should've already been in a enclosure that is big enough for a water bowl, for Ts that size a small bottle cap will work for a water dish. If it's still alive, try give it a waterbowl with water and place the Ts mouth in it. What you can also try is if you turn it on it's back and use a syringe/eyedropper and place a droplet of water directly on it's mouth.
This is also where I was headed. If the tarantula does drink make sure to refill the bowl right away. It could take quite a bit of water to rehydrate.

cold blood

Staff member
No water dish atm but gets misted 2-3 times a week
There is NO good reason to not have a water dish, especially considering they are a moisture dependent species. If you had a water dish, the t probably would not be in a death curl. Molting is tough enough on them, losing a limb or two in the process will only increase the need for the t to attain added moisture to its system as the moisture lost from both molting and bleeding needs to be replaced asap.

Don't mist, its a useless way to add moisture OR humidity as its effects last for about 20 min or less. I've literally never misted any t enclosure in 15 years...my spray bottle is for moistening paper towels prior to packing a t for shipping.

---------- Post added 11-30-2015 at 04:55 PM ----------

At 1.5" it should've already been in a enclosure that is big enough for a water bowl, for Ts that size a small bottle cap will work for a water dish. If it's still alive, try give it a waterbowl with water and place the Ts mouth in it.
+1

A 32 oz deli does in fact, have plenty of room for a dish....I have 41 different ts in deli cups, both 16 and 32oz (both have the same ground space) and every single one has a water dish in it.

Last edited: