Question about multiple spiders molting same time

Travis21v4

Arachnopeon
Has anyone else noticed that their slings molt at the same time...? I had a p.irminia/vittata/b.albo/pumpkin patch/v.vagans all molt together. Well the p.irminia did it a day before all of these followed.?

Do they sink up like women by chance? This is not meant to be sexist in anyway!!! I was just wondering if there is some science behind this.

ireleana

Arachnopeon
Doubt it but I don't know. The thought is women sync up so we can breastfeed each others babies. Women would have babies around the same time so there wee more breastfeeding mothers. Makes sense for mammals but I don't see an evolutionary advantage for tarantulas to molt at the same time but who knows! Just my thoughts anyways..

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I've noticed many of mine molt during storms. Maybe barometric pressure triggers a molt.

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
I've got about 35 tarantulas, and when one molts, two or three more molt within the week. I feel like they sync up sometimes, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Travis21v4

Arachnopeon
Glad im not the only one. The only other thing i can think of is that i only own slings... And they are all about the same size 3/4 to inch and a half. And most the time they are fed the same day.. Who knows i just thought it was funny. Also, i keep bragging to my brother that all mine are molting and his husbandry is garbage because his doesnt lol.
I've got about 35 tarantulas, and when one molts, two or three more molt within the week. I feel like they sync up sometimes, lol.

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
Glad im not the only one. The only other thing i can think of is that i only own slings... And they are all about the same size 3/4 to inch and a half. And most the time they are fed the same day.. Who knows i just thought it was funny. Also, i keep bragging to my brother that all mine are molting and his husbandry is garbage because his doesnt lol.
Lol. I have a few slings, but mostly juvie-adult. So it's a little weird sometimes. 6-7 of mine are adult G porteri... So when they molt it's already a shock, lol.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince

My hypothesis is that they communicate telepathically.

Last edited:

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
My hypothesis is that the communicate telepathically.
I never even thought of that, but sounds legit.

Sling: Psst, I'm about to molt.. When are you gonna be ready?
MF Rosie: Won't be heavy premolt for at least another 10 days...
Sling: Okay! I'll hold off until after you molt so we can surprise the human.

I guess it could go that way.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I never even thought of that, but sounds legit.

Sling: Psst, I'm about to molt.. When are you gonna be ready?
MF Rosie: Won't be heavy premolt for at least another 10 days...
Sling: Okay! I'll hold off until after you molt so we can surprise the human.

I guess it could go that way.

Completely legit.
We need someone to publish a "tarantula telepathy" paper.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
When we have a rainy 2 or 3 days during our hot, dry springs, I'll have 2 or 3 dozen adults/subadults molt that week. Wet weather gives them more time to get out of their old skins before the lubricating fluids dry up. Fast evaporation can be fatal.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
When we have a rainy 2 or 3 days during our hot, dry springs, I'll have 2 or 3 dozen adults/subadults molt that week. Wet weather gives them more time to get out of their old skins before the lubricating fluids dry up. Fast evaporation can be fatal.
Hmmm maybe... But telepathy seems more probable. (Lol)

Travis21v4

Arachnopeon
No rain here in vegas lol. I was just surprised lol! Now my 5 vagans look all different.

---------- Post added 11-30-2015 at 11:29 PM ----------

actually it is super cold here for some reason so i had to turn the heater on for like the whole day to keep it at 78-79! maybe that is why

cold blood

Staff member
I feel like they sync up sometimes, lol.
No, they're not syncing up to one another, rather they are all reading and reacting to the same environmental cues.

I think a lot of the extended fasts prior to molting (I'm talking those unusually long pre-molt periods) are just a matter of the t waiting for the right environmental conditions....I personally believe both humidity and barometric pressure play their roles.

Stranger

Arachnopeon
I have noticed the same thing, however they don't all molt at the same time. I have 10 P. cambridgei that usually molt in pairs, I'll notice one has molted and almost always find another the same day. I just recently purchased 8 new Ts about a month ago, 7 of which have molted already. However, in this case I think they were more so responding to proper environmental conditions like stated above.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
We had ours molting in 3s and 4s during the summer, though they're down to about once a week in the colder temps.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've actually noticed this and wondered if slings give off pheromones or something when molting, causing others to molt at the same time. I can see how it would be an advantage for Ts of the same clutch; if they all molt together, it's less likely they'll be cannibalized as compared to if they all molted at random times. Who knows. I've had slings of different species all molt within a short period of each other, all with different relative abdomen sizes. But it doesn't happen with older Ts.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
Glad I decided to perform a search before posting a new thread asking the same question...lol.
This week I had 5 of my terrestrials molt (I didn't even realize they we're in pre-molt or at least not that far in). One of them being my P. sazimai, which I haven't seen in over a month. And it just left it's molt outside it's hide. so I still haven't seen it.

amberd

Arachnopeon
Has anyone else noticed that their slings molt at the same time...? I had a p.irminia/vittata/b.albo/pumpkin patch/v.vagans all molt together. Well the p.irminia did it a day before all of these followed.?

Do they sink up like women by chance? This is not meant to be sexist in anyway!!! I was just wondering if there is some science behind this.
I just had the same thing happen. GBB, LP, and a jumping spider molting right now. Today I had my curtains open and the house warmed up and I am curious if this is why they are all molting the very same day. I also just have them all fresh water and a tiny mist today too. I really think the sudden increase in temp today did the trick. This is the funnest hobby ever.

TheHound

Arachnoknight
Human beings have an in-built tendency to get confused by coincidence, and perceive patterns or correlations that are not there.