Euathlus sp. Red slings

ireleana

Arachnopeon
So the one tarantula I really really wanted has been unavailable for quite a while. I was checking Jamiestarantulas.com last night and seen they had some ready to go! I immediately bought 3. They are 1/4 inch according to the website. Does that mean 1/4 inch body length or diagonal leg length? I got a good culture going of flightless fruit fly's and I have mealworms I could cut up tiny as well. Is there any tips or suggestions for caring for these tiny babies? I've looked up a bunch of stuff but just curious about this particular tarantula. Do's and Don'ts. I want to make sure I don't screw anything up lol.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DLS my guess and don't get in a hurry with them little guys they grow very very slow. But nice spiders

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
Don't really know much about this species myself, but from what I understand FFF are absolutely useless. So I would just use cut up mealworms or crickets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Enough substrate to burrow/dig/shovel lol and dampen one area for moisture.
Be prepared they grow extremely sloooww! prekilled pinhead crictets is what I used, but FF, worm pieces will work.

ireleana

Arachnopeon
Yeah I knew they grow slow. They said that is what they have been feeding them, the fff. DLS.. That is tiny lol!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have three of these. They can be slow growers, but not always. The males can grow quite fast. I have one that is younger than one of my Avics by a year and he's double the size of my Avic.

They are a great locality to own, too bad they aren't characterized by scientists yet.

ireleana

Arachnopeon
I have three of these. They can be slow growers, but not always. The males can grow quite fast. I have one that is younger than one of my Avics by a year and he's double the size of my Avic.

They are a great locality to own, too bad they aren't characterized by scientists yet.
I just want them out of that vulnerable stage lol! Hope they eat. Have yours given you trouble with fasting so far, besides any pre molt fasting?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just want them out of that vulnerable stage lol! Hope they eat. Have yours given you trouble with fasting so far, besides any pre molt fasting?
No probs, however all 3 of mine are particularly "fussy" when it comes to attacking the cricket. I've watched my female stalk prey and when she's right on top just wait and wait... And finally eat, same with the male. It's the only species I've owned that can take a long time to attack when hungry.

They aren't like GBBs or Pumpkin Patches, or even Brachy's at times, that will dive at the slightest movement. They are very patient.

I don't have fasting probs with any T. They know better than me when they are hungry etc

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Mine is about 1/4". It is terrified of anything that moves. Have to give the little guy cricket legs or tiny mealworms with their heads crushed. Otherwise it climbs the side of his cup and cowers. Yeah, even pinheads, Weird but adorable little thing. It has finally started to bulldoze and web. For the longest time it just say under the fake leaf, no idea what sparked the change.

I want to buy an adult but they're hard to come by around here it seems. Everyone wants the big spiders but I find the dwarfs quite endearing personally.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It'll literally take years from 1/4" to 2"+ - I speak from experience having raised one MM and still the 3 females I have. I got them as tiny, tiny spreckles and after over 3 years they're now at 2" finally. Good eaters in my experience, but they'll still take their sweet time between molts. Hardy as slings already. Never had any problem with them - just keep in mind to NOT keep them entirely dry. They're from a reportedly from a region in the vicinity of a river and appreciate 50/50 dry/moist substrate.

Mattias

Arachnopeon
They really do grow slow. I had an egg sac of these in October 2014 and the biggest slings are now about 1/2 inch and they molted about 4 times.
Besides that i really like them. Whenever i open the cup they come out of their burrow or hide to see what's going on. I feed them small crickets and fruit flies. But just like Viper69 said,
it can take a while before they catch it. But they always do eventually. Just make sure there's always a moist area available.

ireleana

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm super excited to raise them :) They shipped today and should be here Friday. So glad there is this site to get help. I feel like a new nervous mom haha :biggrin:

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Hope yours don't turn out like mine. I've heard they're good eaters but our female has never gone for a cricket...ever...unless it was pre killed or crippled. SA/A too and the crickets should be short work for her. Lately she's stopped going for anything dead or alive so hoping for a molt.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I've seen my slings take down small crickets nearly there size. but most of the time I had to feed pre-killed.
And they are at times shy eaters and wont touch a meal till you walk away. If they make it from 3/8 to 1 inch in a year I'll be happy

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Don't understand why so many people seemingly have problems feeding these. Honestly, all 4 of mine were good eaters from slings already and I never had to feed pre-killed at all. In fact, they often seem to be not interested (or scared) of the prey item, but just wait a few minutes and they'll usually go for it. Only one of my triplet females goes for food immediately, the others take a few minutes. Bottom line - be patient with these.

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Anybody know where they are available? I would love to pick up a juvie

soundsmith

Arachnopeon
Jamie (jamiestarantulas.com) has 1/4" slings right now. It's going to be hard to find juveniles and adults, slings are hard enough to come by as it is. I got a full grown adult female from Jamie's back in September and she had a mature breeding pair only a couple weeks ago. Anastasia (net-bug.net) has an adult female right now, the price is kind of high but that's how it is when hardly anyone else has them.

Last edited:

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Jamie (jamiestarantulas.com) has 1/4" slings right now. It's going to be hard to find juveniles and adults, slings are hard enough to come by as it is. I got a full grown adult female from Jamie's back in September and she had a mature breeding pair only a couple weeks ago. Anastasia (net-bug.net) has an adult female right now, the price is kind of high but that's how it is when hardly anyone else has them.
Anastatia is going to have slings available soon as well, that won't be badly priced she said when I asked. I am debating buying that adult female but yeah price is a little high but that's to be expected. Hopefully they start to be bred more in the U.S and the price comes down.

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Anastatia is going to have slings available soon as well, that won't be badly priced she said when I asked. I am debating buying that adult female but yeah price is a little high but that's to be expected. Hopefully they start to be bred more in the U.S and the price comes down.

Ah ok. Thank you. Yea her prices are super high especially at the expos :(

ireleana

Arachnopeon
Well the 3 I ordered are apparently in limbo with the USPS. I'm so mad!! Of they don't arrive by tomorrow, they will probably die. As it is freezing here and I am at work all week next week. Supposed to arrive today according to tracking and were supposedly shipped on the 2nd according to tracking yet the post office said they don't have them and have no information. Saying they never shipped and I only got a tracking number even though the usps website says they shipped on the 2nd? Ahhhhh! I have had stuff lost in the mail before so it is no surprise. Hopefully it is all a mistake and they arrive tomorrow. Grhhh