big enough?

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
hey everyone when I brought home my A. Avicularia yesterday I thought ] this container was big enough but now I am not sure anymore.

IMG_2614.jpg

does she needs a bigger enclosure?

if she does, these are the options I have right now;

IMG_2616.jpg

in the middle is the deli cup she is in at the moment,
the one on the left is a little bit higher and wider
the on on the right is higher but also less wide

I have no other options at the moment as the stores are all closed now

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Personally, I'd go with the one on the left. It's wider and a little bit taller. The one on the right is just too narrow. Just be prepared to rehouse on the next molt. For future advice, I personally always rehouse much bigger than what they need. A rehouse is traumatic for the spider (and sometimes the owner!). Some of my slings are in WAY larger cages than they need, but 1) I don't like rehousing because of what it does to them, and 2) if they are overly venomous and/or fast, I don't want to mess with them.

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
ok thx a lot,

i'll start makig that ome om the left ready

should i put some fake plant in there to make it feel more secure, or isnt that necessary?

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
ok great!

thanks! hope he/she is gonna like her new house when I am done with it

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Hopefully its ok with the OP if I piggyback on this a bit because I have a similar question. :biggrin:

I may be getting a 4" Avic versi soon and was wondering about T size and enclosure ratio for arboreals. This is my first arboreal (which is why I decided to get a sub-adult...get used to it before getting a sling which are more sensitive) and I know the general rule of thumb for enclosures is 3-4 times the size of the T...however that seemed to be more for terrestrials and length/width. Is the same general rule used for the height of the enclosure for arboreals?

I'm thinking of getting an exo-terra 8x8x12 enclosure to keep her in but wasn't sure if that was tall enough. Another thing I was wondering about those is if the front and top ventilation is enough or if it needs extra cross ventilation added as well.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hopefully its ok with the OP if I piggyback on this a bit because I have a similar question. :biggrin:

I may be getting a 4" Avic versi soon and was wondering about T size and enclosure ratio for arboreals. This is my first arboreal (which is why I decided to get a sub-adult...get used to it before getting a sling which are more sensitive) and I know the general rule of thumb for enclosures is 3-4 times the size of the T...however that seemed to be more for terrestrials and length/width. Is the same general rule used for the height of the enclosure for arboreals?

I'm thinking of getting an exo-terra 8x8x12 enclosure to keep her in but wasn't sure if that was tall enough. Another thing I was wondering about those is if the front and top ventilation is enough or if it needs extra cross ventilation added as well.
Ive used what you have described many times and they work great. I do prefer cross ventilation, but top works well too.
I use 6x6x12 custom acrylics, with cross ventilation.

The smaller one is 4x4x10. It houses a mature female Avicularia sp. "Ecuador". She must be comfortable, as she just dropped her sac a few days ago.

SpiderDad61

Arachnoknight
Mine completely webs up the top of the enclosure so if u use ANY with top lids, you will tear up the web when u open it every
time. I'd go with a 4" x 4" x 7" amac box. That way it'll open from bottom and you won't disturb the web every feed/watering

cold blood

Staff member
should i put some fake plant in there to make it feel more secure, or isnt that necessary?
Yes, its very necessary...surround the wood with plastic plants, this both provides additional cover as well as anchor points...they don't like being out in the open.....proper cover will result in a happy spider that webs and acclimates quickly.

I would go bigger than what you provided in the pic, being arboreal, they can deal with a little more room easily.....that said, you can leave it in what you have it in till the stores open, I wouldn't re-house, just to re-house again.

I use sterilite tubs, they allow me to add both a lot of wood as well as plants and have plenty of room for a large water dish...plus ventilation is easily drilled out, they stack and only cost me $6.

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
Yes, its very necessary...surround the wood with plastic plants, this both provides additional cover as well as anchor points...they don't like being out in the open.....proper cover will result in a happy spider that webs and acclimates quickly.

I would go bigger than what you provided in the pic, being arboreal, they can deal with a little more room easily.....that said, you can leave it in what you have it in till the stores open, I wouldn't re-house, just to re-house again.

I use sterilite tubs, they allow me to add both a lot of wood as well as plants and have plenty of room for a large water dish...plus ventilation is easily drilled out, they stack and only cost me $6.
Do you have a pic of what tub you use? Here in the Netherlands we dont have sterlite we have other brands ofcourse but I would like to see what kind of tubs you use

Sana

Arachnoprince

I do this same thing for a lot of my tarantulas. Nice secure lids, easy to create cross ventilation, and they fit more tarantulas per square inch in my bedroom than a lot of options. I don't actually have any avics in that type of enclosure though. I haven't tried one of them in that type of enclosure yet because I'm concerned about the top opening with avics. All of mine have chosen to live at the top of their enclosures so I'm investigating some other options. I'm aiming for something that is as inexpensive as the ones I have now. I'll let you know if I find a good option.

cold blood

Staff member
I surround the tops of the wood pretty good, as you can see the urticans in the enclosure I pictured actually gathered the plants from the wood on the opposite side and crowded it with the rest, but its at the top of the wood and not on the lid. I have 6 adult, sub-adult avics in them, once I had one web up a top corner, but I was still able to tip open the enclosure for maintenance without wrecking the web at all. By keeping my plants and the top of wood down a bit from the top, I have actually had few web the top up, even in deli cups....they're right up there, but opening the top isn't an issue IME.

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
Ah those kind of tubs, yeah i can get those.

I always thought they where to big (floor space ) but seeing it now it makes sense as there is more room for plants.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Cross ventilation, cross ventilation, cross ventilashun, kros ventulaschön.... im done.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Personally, I'd go with the one on the left. It's wider and a little bit taller. The one on the right is just too narrow. Just be prepared to rehouse on the next molt. For future advice, I personally always rehouse much bigger than what they need. A rehouse is traumatic for the spider (and sometimes the owner!). Some of my slings are in WAY larger cages than they need, but 1) I don't like rehousing because of what it does to them, and 2) if they are overly venomous and/or fast, I don't want to mess with them.
Amen to that. I always go for something big enough to last at least 2-3 molts where possible. The more you can reduce the number of overall rehomes the less stress for the T. And for faster and/or more venomous beasties it means less stress for you.

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
ok so yesterday I bought a new tub but now I am thinking I might have bought a tub that is to big

here some pictures
her container in the new one, front few;
IMG_2617.jpg

her conterainer in the new one, from above;
IMG_2619.jpg

I think I can better get an tub a bit smaller like the one in the following pictures?
smaller tub in the bigger tub, front few;
IMG_2620.jpg

smaller tub in the bigger tub, from above;
IMG_2621.jpg

let me know what you guys think, get a smaller one like the ones in the pictures or use the big one I have but give enough of hiding places and such.

Chris11

ArachnoBat
Its a nice tub but perosonally id stay with the one shes in... the big tub gives feeder a lot of hiding places and spiders feel more secure with tighter quarters... most likely she'd pick a spot and stay there most of the time

ARspiders

Arachnosquire
Its a nice tub but perosonally id stay with the one shes in... the big tub gives feeder a lot of hiding places and spiders feel more secure with tighter quarters... most likely she'd pick a spot and stay there most of the time
She is in the smaller deli cup and I everyone said to put her bigger, I have bought a tub just now that is smaller then the really big one in the pictures but and about as big as the smaller tub (not de deli cup) but about 2 inches higher zo she has more space to climb.

I'll post a pic of it when I am home