Baby Chaco Pic

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Yes, last night was photo shoot night :D This is one of my almost 3" chacos.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Now that is one FAT-T!

Still doesn't have full color?

Big Dragonfly

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My little chaco looks about the same only it's still less than 2", guess I don't get to look forward to too many changes for while.

They do have some of the longest rumps which they fill to bursting before taking up some nice, long premoult fasts.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
They do have some of the longest rumps which they fill to bursting before taking up some nice, long premoult fasts.
Yes, they do seem to go a long while before a molt for spiderlings. This one has been off food and in pre-molt for over 2 weeks now.

Gail

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
What a darling spider! I keep hoping to breed this species, but I'm afraid my female will die of old age before my male matures! Have you found yours very slow growing?

Joy

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
What a darling spider! I keep hoping to breed this species, but I'm afraid my female will die of old age before my male matures! Have you found yours very slow growing?

Joy
They seem to be growing fairly fast - here's the molt history for one of the 3 (they are all molting at about the same pace, I think because they are all from the same egg sack.)

Received on Aug. 8, 2002 @ 1"
Molt 8/26 - 1.25"
Molt 9/16 - 1.75"
Molt 10/30 - 2.75"

I have an adult female as well, and 2 of the three young ones are probably male (about 75% sure from last molts), so I too am hoping that they hurry up :D My female seems to be hoping the same - when she molted a couple months ago she must have fully matured because she has been looking and digging and tapping ever since. She was REALLY bad the first 3 weeks or so after her molt, but she has calmed down a bit now.

Gail

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
WOW!!

YOU have a FATTT!!! baby!! nice pic to! it still isnt looking to fancy!

James

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gail
They seem to be growing fairly fast - here's the molt history for one of the 3 (they are all molting at about the same pace, I think because they are all from the same egg sack.)

Received on Aug. 8, 2002 @ 1"
Molt 8/26 - 1.25"
Molt 9/16 - 1.75"
Molt 10/30 - 2.75"

Gail
That is much quicker than I had been led to believe. I'll be interested to know how many of the 3 are males. How long have you had you adult female? I'm interested in molt frequency in adults, too. My own experience has been that they tend to be rather irregular in this regard, much like G. rosea.

Joy

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'm fairly certain mine is a male, here is the molt record for him:
arrived 11/14/01 at 1"
molted: 12/27/01 to 1.5", 2/5/02 to 2" 3/21/02 to 2.5", 5/20/02 to approx 3", and has not molted, nor shown any inclination to, since.
I was hoping it was a she, but looking at the ventral side, I see everything that indicates a male, and nothing that indicates a female :(

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
That is much quicker than I had been led to believe. I'll be interested to know how many of the 3 are males. How long have you had you adult female? I'm interested in molt frequency in adults, too. My own experience has been that they tend to be rather irregular in this regard, much like G. rosea.

Joy
I've had the female since spring. She molted once. I think she was preultimate instar when I got her and this last molt was the "this girl is a woman now" molt :)
I'll keep you posted on which are males. Humm, from what Holley has experienced, it looks as if I may be in for a major slow down in growth on these babies soon.

Gail

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Gail, looks like when tiny, they molt often, and it just really slows down once they get any size on them. Mine doesn't have the adult coloration yet either. I'll post a pic later on, mine looks just like yours though, complete with fat butt!

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
baby Chaco

I purchased my first slings close to 3 years ago right out of the eggsack from the first person to breed them in the US, Doug Wheeler. They are now 1 1/2 and 2 inches. I'm hoping to follow in Doug's footsteps, I've got two bred so far this season.

N-Joy
Art