My Savannah Monitor

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The picture is blurry but is as good as I can do with the camera I have. It eats like a pig and is real tame.

Attachments

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It is almost 7 inches long and it eats crickets and small grasshoppers. I have tried tuna, chicken and even beef but it ignores it.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
very cool. it looks bigger in the pic. how big does this one grow in the wild?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
according to the book I have they will get about 4 ft long.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awesome Brian,
It's a beauty. Hope you enjoy it. Have you been able to figure out the sex? If you don't, be on a look out for a hemipenis when it defecates. Sometimes it will pop out at that time.
Mike

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lasiodora said:
Awesome Brian,
It's a beauty. Hope you enjoy it. Have you been able to figure out the sex? If you don't, be on a look out for a hemipenis when it defecates. Sometimes it will pop out at that time.
Mike
Thanks for the info. If it will ever defecate when I am around I will take note. I really enjoy having it around. When it walks it seems awkward and clumsy but it can be really fast when I put a cricket in with it.

defour

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brian S said:
It is almost 7 inches long and it eats crickets and small grasshoppers. I have tried tuna, chicken and even beef but it ignores it.

This is for the best, since in the wild their diet is mostly comprised of invertebrates, even as adults. A lot of health problems in many monitor species can be caused or worsened by diets too rich in meat.

Steve

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lasiodora said:
Awesome Brian,
Mike

Maybe Tegus are different (Black and white tegu is the only large lizard I currently own) but doesn't that usually only occur when they get larger? 7 inches seems awfully small to start letting it hang out.

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have had hatchling green tree monitors, savanah monitors and mertens monitors pop their hemipenis out when defecating plenty of times. Some while they were doing their thing in the cage others when frightened while being handled.
Mike