brown recluse

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
do you think it would be safe to feed some of these to my scorps? the house has loads of them, and they look rather weak. they couldn't bite through a scorp's exoskeleton could they?

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe if you are keeping Centruroides, but even if they weren't a potential threat to a scorp, they are nothing that I would be getting near, you might get bitten and they have necrotic venom.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would say that your scorps would eat 'em right up. It would be very hard for the spider to get a good bite on the scorp

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't put my self at that kind of risk. The bite is potentially the worst thing I have ever seen a venom do in my entier life. Just to get them into the house would put everyone inside at risk of a horrible disfiguring injury requiering reconstructive surgery. :eek:
There has to be other spiders to feed them.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they practically infest my house, so i see them just about everyday, and would like to come up with a more creative way to kill them. There is a possibility that they are brown spiders, but all the ones i see have the little marking on their carapace or whatev it is on a spider. i thought that this was unique to the recluse.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Could you possibly tape a cotton ball on a long stick and soak it in rubbing alcohol and place it against one until it dies and post a pic of it?.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
Could you possibly tape a cotton ball on a long stick and soak it in rubbing alcohol and place it against one until it dies and post a pic of it?.
LOL! i think you are all overestimating their danger a little. i may have gotten tagged by one before many years ago, but we couldnt comfirm the biter, as i recieved it in my sleep. i still have a small scar on my chest, but it was never that bad. apart from that incident, i have been living in this house for almost 9 years, and this is the only spider bite anyone has recieved in al that time.
still, i will try to nab a few and post em.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
overestimating the danger eh? i'd like you to tell that to a couple people i know down here that have been bitten by them....

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they aren't at all aggressive. btw, i found one about 5 min after carpe's request, and it is currently in alchohol.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you saw the bite pictures, right? And the worst part is that supposedly the bite is painless, so that you don't even know what happened and one day you get a nice oozy bit of rotting flesh. yay.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, the bite pics are how we determined what got me.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
leiurus said:
They aren't so agressive... Is there an antivenom?
Dom
not so much aggressive but they can be made to bite...if you roll over on them in your sleep or accidentally half-squish em. and that's right, the bite isn't all that painful, in fact most people never notice it. But the reaction is quite noticeable.

as for an antivenom there are treatments available. one of my old neighbors got bit by one on a school field trip (she's a teacher) and somehow they caught it quickly, got her to the doctor and gave her some medicine (and a shot? i forget...i can ask her) and it didn't develop much more than a red area with a lil white spot in the middle. No real damage luckily :D

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
mine rotted a little, but didn't really spread at all.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
I thought it was dead!!!
I took it out and positioned it about 20 min ago, but the legs curled under, so i tried to reposition them, and it came to life, scrambling like a madman! EEEEEK!!! :eek:

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pandinus said:
they aren't at all aggressive. btw, i found one about 5 min after carpe's request, and it is currently in alchohol.
Man, you got too many spiders in your house, I would feed them all to the scorps and decimate their population.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gecko my @$$ get me a D@MN KOMODO DRAGON!! I have it in a vial of rubbing alcohol that is 70% by volume, and it is still not dead!!!