Crickets Eating My Scorps Plants

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I had planted them I might not be laughing, but they're fake! :? Are crickets that stupid, or just starving, and have you noticed this in your scorp tanks when uneaten prey is around and no food is made available to them?

Last edited:

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Crickets are omniverous little b*****s, and if left alone, will try to eat anything. Years ago when I had to dump lots of crickets in with my C. gracilis juviniles, I would put a small chunk of potato in. When the crickets were eaten I'd quickly remove the chunk.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I fish for carpe

carpe scorpio said:
Crickets are omniverous little b*****s, and if left alone, will try to eat anything. Years ago when I had to dump lots of crickets in with my C. gracilis juviniles, I would put a small chunk of potato in. When the crickets were eaten I'd quickly remove the chunk.
What did I tell you about answering my threads beeotch. ;P {D

Actually potato is a good idea although I don't know how long it will last in this 80+ degree heat.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Try putting a piece or two of dry dog food for the crickets. They will eat it. In fact the local bait store that raises crickets feeds them mostly dog food.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
If I had planted them I might not be laughing, but they're fake! :? Are crickets that stupid, or just starving, and have you noticed this in your scorp tanks when uneaten prey is around and no food is made available to them?
crickets will eat just about anything, I used to seal my tanks with sticky tape till I found out they liked to eat it :mad:

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had grown an awsome mango tree in one of my millipede tanks and 1 singular cricket bastage got in and 5 weeks later the place was over run with crickets and they ate the entier tree!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Dammit, I hate those guys!

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is why, even after all these years, I still smile everytime a cricket gets nailed.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
J Morningstar said:
I had grown an awsome mango tree in one of my millipede tanks and 1 singular cricket bastage got in and 5 weeks later the place was over run with crickets and they ate the entier tree!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
Dammit, I hate those guys!
How did you grow a mango tree in a tank? Was it a large tank like 29 gal Tall or larger? Besides the gluttonous crickets, did you notice any other pests in the tank because of the tree? Pretty cool by the way :cool: I wanted to set a a vivarium for my tarantula but I didn't want to worry about pests.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
That is why, even after all these years, I still smile everytime a cricket gets nailed.
I have found many a sadist amongst the archno collectors, not implying of course that the site of a cricket getting nailed makes you chunky in the pants ;P {D

Cheers Carpe

Goliath

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have found that the crickets like to eat the plastic vines that are in some of my tanks. One of the miniture orchids I have in my D. diadema was just about to come into bloom and the crickets ate all the flowers one night before they even opened. I really do hate the crickets :mad: , now I only put in a few that will get eaten almost immediately.
Mike

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Goliath said:
I have found that the crickets like to eat the plastic vines that are in some of my tanks. One of the miniture orchids I have in my D. diadema was just about to come into bloom and the crickets ate all the flowers one night before they even opened. I really do hate the crickets :mad: , now I only put in a few that will get eaten almost immediately.
Mike
I do the same now too. I usually take out uneaten crickets from my other tanks, but my communal tank is too large and there are too many hiding places for them. Thanks for the info.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
How did you grow a mango tree in a tank? Was it a large tank like 29 gal Tall or larger? Besides the gluttonous crickets, did you notice any other pests in the tank because of the tree? Pretty cool by the way :cool: I wanted to set a a vivarium for my tarantula but I didn't want to worry about pests.
I got lucky with a still fruity pit and yes the tank is huge like 50 maybe 60 gallon hex tank. {D {D
I just unfortunately had another weird infestation and am sterilizing the soil right now. I don't have a clue what these things were but they grew wings eventually and REALLY PISSED ME OFF!!!!!!(and no they were NOT fruit flies, fruit flies don't kill millipedes!!!) :mad: :mad: :mad:
Lost a few really nice big AGB specimens! :mad:

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
J Morningstar said:
I got lucky with a still fruity pit and yes the tank is huge like 50 maybe 60 gallon hex tank. {D {D
I just unfortunately had another weird infestation and am sterilizing the soil right now. I don't have a clue what these things were but they grew wings eventually and REALLY PISSED ME OFF!!!!!!(and no they were NOT fruit flies, fruit flies don't kill millipedes!!!) :mad: :mad: :mad:
Lost a few really nice big AGB specimens! :mad:
Damn that bites! Not to gross you out, but hopefully the eggs weren't in the fruit you ate before putting the pit in... dread the thought. I'm not up on my Pede FAQ, what are AGB?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
Damn that bites! Not to gross you out, but hopefully the eggs weren't in the fruit you ate before putting the pit in... dread the thought. I'm not up on my Pede FAQ, what are AGB?
No the new infestation and the weird black bugs were a soil change and 5 months apart. The mango was delicious.
A African G Giant B Black millipedes. :)
Oh yes and "DIE CRICKETS DIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!" :mad: :mad: :mad:

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
J Morningstar said:
No the new infestation and the weird black bugs were a soil change and 5 months apart. The mango was delicious.
A African G Giant B Black millipedes. :)
Oh yes and "DIE CRICKETS DIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!" :mad: :mad: :mad:
I am thinking of getting one of the AGB pede's for my son, they seem to be the most docile. Not to get off topic, I am curious how did yours attack the crickets? Does it roll around them or something? How does it deal with the hopping of prey?

I feel you on the cricket thing, although everything in this world seems to have a place, crickets and roaches and mosquitos amongst other things, could have been kept out of the loop if possible. After a few cricket escapees and a few that hopped on ME :mad: every time I see a stinger plunge into one of their heads it makes me think of purple sunsets and the blue danube... I mean DIE BEEOTCH DIE, that's what you get for raping that little girl in your last life... christ I need to get some sleep :D

Hoosier

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I understand...

Damn I hate crickets so much I can't even describe it. One just escaped from the scorp tank 30 minutes ago and hid under my tv. Took almost an hour for it to come out from underneath! Also, they stink, some chirp and wake me up in the morning. Well, I'm planning on getting a had. ariz. this winter and I heard they sting their prey like CRAZEEE! :}

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
I am thinking of getting one of the AGB pede's for my son, they seem to be the most docile. Not to get off topic, I am curious how did yours attack the crickets? Does it roll around them or something? How does it deal with the hopping of prey?

I feel you on the cricket thing, although everything in this world seems to have a place, crickets and roaches and mosquitos amongst other things, could have been kept out of the loop if possible. After a few cricket escapees and a few that hopped on ME :mad: every time I see a stinger plunge into one of their heads it makes me think of purple sunsets and the blue danube... I mean DIE BEEOTCH DIE, that's what you get for raping that little girl in your last life... christ I need to get some sleep :D
Dude, I am sorry you misunderstand the crickets in the millipedes tank was one of my worst accidents ever. Millipedes do not eat live food nor should you even jokingly put a cricket in with them. I was cleaning and feeding all my "bugs" when a small cricket got into the millipede tank when it jumped off me. :mad:
And yes with comments like that last one you REALLY need some sleep!
But then again DIE!!!!!!! CRICKETS DIE!!!!!!!!!!!