Free-range house geckos?

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How would I manage this? I think it is an interesting idea. My room is a basement room (all finished) and am wondering if they would leave the room often or would they stay in one area? For all those who do this, I need your help! :D Thanks in advance,

Aidan

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have never done this but, there is a pet shop in my area where they do this.I think all you do is get a reasonable amount of them and just let them go.

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't be too worried about it.salomenella from reptiles is not as common as many people would have you beleive.Usually it is from the owners own lack of responsibility.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have heard of doing this. I guess the room would need to be sealed off good so they wouldn't escape. I don't know how you would feed them though. I doubt that you would want to just turn loose bugs in the room.

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have about a dozen mediterranean geckos that I caught in my yard and let go in my house, they do a good job at keeping the spider and housefly population down. Its kind of funny to click on a light and see them all scatter. They are pretty clean, I've never had to do much cleaning up after them except a few poops along the baseboards which the vacuum deals with easily. Theres almost no way you'll keep them contained to one room, they will find a way to get out of it unless you get it hermetically sealed. :) There is more salmonella on a typical "clean" kitchen counter top than they'd spread around in a lifetime.

Rav

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to let a tokay gecko run free in my garage to eat escaped crickets and other stray insects. it did manage to get outside, I recaptured it without getting bit. then the gecko decided to park itself on a vehicle tire. found it squashed flatter n a pancake when I came back in the garage later.

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am all for it.
They keep down the cricket population and males have the greatest vocalization.
Kinda sounds like a hiccupping duck.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Aidan,

Where you live, you may have issues with cold and/or the dryness once the heat comes on.

Cheers,
Dave