16-legged freaks

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hola!

I had a P. irminia case hatch out yesterday, and two of the 1st instars are, um, interesting.
I've seen eggs stuck together that didn't develop, and I've seen the infamous double-abdomen B. vagans in Russia, but I've never seen anything quite like this.

One has two opisthosomas with only 4 booklungs (there are only two on each opisthosoma). I don't see the epigastric plate. There are two cephalothoraxes (thoraxi?!), each with fangs, legs, eyes, etc.

Another has the 16 legs and two distinct cephs, but only onw abdomen. Here's the rub: that abdomen has eight lungs and two epigastric plates.

I doubt they'll live, but I was wondering if anyone has seen much of this and what happened.

Garrick
eight

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Could you post a larger pic ??

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Im with Mike, I am dying to see a larger pic. Mutations arent all that uncommon. I remember when my dad was in vet school, he removed a 5th leg from a cow.

Have you decided if you will let them try to develope yet? It would be very interesting to see what happens, and how long they survive. Definatly preserve them if they dont make it. I wish we knew more about Ts, cause I would love to know what causes that.

Sky

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes please post a bigger picture! It would be neat to see if these tarantulas make it to adult hood..... although doubtful.

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry- can't get a bigger pic with the camera I have.

They're not inbred. Mom was wild-caught (I picked her up at the importer, actually) and the male was CB.

However, I have inbred P. murinus to 3rd generation. I didn't see mutations with them (in fact, I still have one of the adults).

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Garrick said:
I doubt they'll live, but I was wondering if anyone has seen much of this and what happened.
I've never seen that before. It's really freaky!

Is there any chance of seeing these in person if I ask really nicely? ;)

-Bryan

ps~ Hit me up if you're at the FIRE show tomorrow and see me. I'll be wearing a blue shirt covered in tarantulas!

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bryan-

You should definitely come check them out if they live. If they don't, I'll send them to you for perusal in a vial of alcohol. You gotta send 'em back, though!
I'll let you know in a week or so if they molt.

I'll be at the FIRE show Sunday. . .I'm not sure exactly what time, but after noon. Tomorrow I've got a 1-year-old's b-day to attend.

Here's a pic of te one with one abdomen and eight lungs:

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hows their mobilty? i mean do they move around well or not at all

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Garrick said:
You should definitely come check them out if they live. If they don't, I'll send them to you for perusal in a vial of alcohol. You gotta send 'em back, though!
You don't live too far away, if I remember right. Maybe I can swing by to check them out. That way you don't risk losing these neat specimins.

-Bryan

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
was inbreading a factor?
Inbreeding in invertebrates really doesnt cause the same affects it does in humans and higher order animals. Thought, it seems to be a pretty common misconception in this hobby. It would take generation after generation after generation for years and years to start seeing negative affects. In the wild, they really dont move far from where they were hatched, so inbreeding might be alot more common that wed like to think. This of course isnt to say that its ok to do it, and go ahead, but if its a necassary thing, it wont do any damage. It seems also, that its really only us Americans (and Canadians) that find inbreeding a bad thing in the tarantula hobby. Anyway, I had to throw in my two cents before popping off to bed. :)

Sky

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is quite freakish!

I would be impressed if they survived long though... I can't imagine how they could molt properly... I do hope that they do though, definitely keep us updated!

Pixie

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That's an amazing looking creature. I agree that molting looks like an impossible challenge. Keep us informed!

Is this conjoined mutation common in tarantulas, or is it more usual to see an extra leg or pedipalp? I would have thought that a vertically mirrored tarantula would make an awesome tunnel-hunter. Perhaps the molting challenge has denied this form it's evolutionary niche.

Last edited:

DracosBana

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That really is pretty cool looking. Is there any history of twins in t's? Is there even any way of knowing?

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
DracosBana said:
That really is pretty cool looking. Is there any history of twins in t's? Is there even any way of knowing?

I was thinking the same thing :p! I mean they could all be twins for all we know and some just don't split up all the way.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
are the abdomens fused together on the 16 legger? If so you will have to feed each simease tarantula. {D

Good luck with thier survival