Stung by a P. Leiosoma

Fausta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello all,
Today I had a bad experience with a 4 inch P. leiosoma. I was given an enclosure by someone at a petstore I won't mention as a freebee I could clean out and use over. Well, I took a spatula and scraped the soil out and failed to notice the leiosoma jump out until it was too late. Got me a good three or four times in the lower arm. Right now it is very swollen and very painful and I am having great difficulty typing or even thinking for that material. My cheeks and ears are buzzing and I feel it all the way up my shoulder into my back muscles. It happened 10 minutes ago. I am going to go laydown for awhile, but I just thought I would post this while the venom courses through me. Bummer I left my digital camera at my office. Note: always check the old enclosures, even if someone tells you it has been vacant for 6 months. I have a new friend now, but at a terrible price.
Kelly

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kelly, I hope that you recover both quickly and completely, I'm sure that all of us here will be crossing our fingers that the symptoms don't increase. Get well soon.

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dang that's a high price to pay, hope you get to feeling better soon.

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Bummer, I'm very sorry to hear it. I wonder how the media would work this it they found out. Only good thing with that ordeal was you're new skorpion, are you going to name it?
Hope you're better.

Cheers Peter

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
That sounds like a pretty serious envenomation, with neurological symptoms. If I were you, I'd get medical attention. At the very least, lying down and taking a nap are a bad idea. You need to stay alert and monitor your condition.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Eurypterid said:
That sounds like a pretty serious envenomation, with neurological symptoms. If I were you, I'd get medical attention. At the very least, lying down and taking a nap are a bad idea. You need to stay alert and monitor your condition.
x2...at least until they start to subside.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
PIter said:
Bummer, I'm very sorry to hear it. I wonder how the media would work this it they found out. Only good thing with that ordeal was you're new skorpion, are you going to name it?
Hope you're better.

Cheers Peter
The media should never know of this if at all possible. The first priority is that Kelly feels/gets better and stays alert and not alone. If medical attention is required and questions arise, his frequent trips to Egypt could easily explain an accidental stowaway that could have crawled into an open suitcase etc.

Last edited:

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Carpe, I agree with you. :) Still, though, your post reminds me of the men in black movies.. You need a flashy thingie, man.

*FLASH*

Nothing to see here! :-D

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe he was told it had been empty for 6 months.

Last edited:

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OMG! my deepest sympathy and prayers go out to you Fausta. Don't go to sleep, whatever you do! THAT IS SO TERRIBLE!!!

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
This thread brings up a good point: the desire to keep the press from going overboard vs. safety. We all know that scorpions (at least exotics) could be banned or restricted if they get bad press. The question is, when do you let your concern for that over-ride seeking medical attention for a sting?

This case seems particularly difficult. It sounds like a fairly serious envenomation, with multiple stings and severe symptoms, from a medically significant species. If he goes to the doctor, there is a chance that the press might hear about it, but it isn't likely as long as he does well. Afterall, there is such a thing as patient confidentiality, which prohibits health-care professionals from discussing it. On the other hand, if he has serious complications or, god forbid, dies because of delayed treatment, you can bet that the press will not only hear about it, but will have a field day.

I'm as much a wait-and-see person as anyone when it comes to my own health, so I'm not advocating one approach over another. However, I would never let my concern over the press keep me from treatment if I was ever seriously stung or bitten by a venomous animal. Anyone who keeps medically significant species really should think this scenario through and decide up front how they will react if they ever find themselves in this situation.

Gary

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Eurypterid said:
This thread brings up a good point: the desire to keep the press from going overboard vs. safety. We all know that scorpions (at least exotics) could be banned or restricted if they get bad press. The question is, when do you let your concern for that over-ride seeking medical attention for a sting?

This case seems particularly difficult. It sounds like a fairly serious envenomation, with multiple stings and severe symptoms, from a medically significant species. If he goes to the doctor, there is a chance that the press might hear about it, but it isn't likely as long as he does well. Afterall, there is such a thing as patient confidentiality, which prohibits health-care professionals from discussing it. On the other hand, if he has serious complications or, god forbid, dies because of delayed treatment, you can bet that the press will not only hear about it, but will have a field day.

I'm as much a wait-and-see person as anyone when it comes to my own health, so I'm not advocating one approach over another. However, I would never let my concern over the press keep me from treatment if I was ever seriously stung or bitten by a venomous animal. Anyone who keeps medically significant species really should think this scenario through and decide up front how they will react if they ever find themselves in this situation.

Gary
You sound like a doctor! Thus I agree with all of the above.

Fausta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok. I am making it through this. I had some breathing problems and had a shot of epenaphryn (if that's how you spell it). Not sure if it did anything, but it might have. My arm is very badly swollen and very stiff and my thinking is not to clear. I did not sleep as I am very uncomfortable. Skin crawling and some twitching, especially in my eyes. I fixed a bath and soaked and my wife pressed some kind of herbs on the punctures, which are four. I feel it has platoed a bit, but I guess i will have to see as this thing progresses on. I get these shivers up my body from this. Not too good, but i am sure I will live to fight another day. I appreciate the kind words and thoughts and i will let you know how things are a bit later. The scorpion is fine and I just left it in the old home until I can do something with it. I need to have a talk with the fellow who gave the tank to me. Had no idea anything was alive inside there. Knowing the types of scorpions he keeps I got lucky. Sorry about the miss-spellings and such.
Kelly

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OMG Kelly, sorry you got stung dude. 4 times by a leiosoma!?!? I am happy you were able to give us an update tonight... and I hope you feel better as quickly as possible. Once you feel better you really need to go beat the hell out of that guy for being a moron. :mad:

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
Man, you are definitely having serious systemic neurologic effects. Get to a doc.

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Word. Should've gone to to doctor a long time ago. Screw the bad publicity, you need help.

biznacho