Garden Centipede

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Found in my backyard, about 2in long. Can anyone properly identify it or perhaps give me some info?

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
I was just out running around in the garden today and found a similar centipede. Mine's not as bright red - it's a darker shade - and not quite as big either. Yesterday, I was looking at Swift Invertibrates and saw two species that might be it: the stone centipede (found in Europe and the U.S.), and the fire centipede (U.S. species). I don't think he listed any scientific names, but you could check.

Mine digs and hides in the peat moss. I've got it in a small kritter keeper, so it can't climb the sides. What have you got yours in?

Oh yeah, Swift was selling the fire centipedes at $3 each. We could really get a business going, you and me. "Buy your very own centipede for just $2.99!!! (((Shipping not included)))." :D Just joking, if you could'nt already tell.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
8 leg wonder said:
I keep mine in a medium sized deli cup. What do you feed yours? right now I have a couple of pin head cricket in its enclosure

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Most likely it is a member of the Lithobius genus... species idenfication is impossible without deep expertise, as there are well over 100 members of the Lithobius genus. Most people have gotten used to calling these "Lithobius forficatus" but there is no way at all to know the species.

I have caught similar centipedes many places, and they do fine on pinhead or even small crix. They will also eat dead stuff, so you can just put in a large dead cricket if you don't want to pay the money for pinheads. Other than that, just keep them like any other pede.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
mine seems to be doing great it ate 3 pinheads lastnight and I threw 2 more in this morning

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
8 leg wonder said:
What do you feed yours? right now I have a couple of pin head cricket in its enclosure
The same. By the way, your pede is really awesome - looks very healthy and has great color.