Substrate

Scary

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just out of interest, what substrates do you keep your insects on? I keep my beetles on peat and my roaches on a vermiculite/peat mix . :? Just interested to see what everyone else uses. :D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Depending on the bug in question, I've used peat, verm, top soil, sand, coconut coir, natural leaf litter, composted manure, sphagnum moss, bess beetle frass and probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

Wade

scavenger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep my Rhino beetles on a 7-8" layer of composted wood (for breeding purposes) and flower beetles on a 4-5" layer of crushed dead leaves at least 1 year old. Everything else is kept on a substrate that emulates it's natural environment.

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't really keep insects but I think that for most non desert species that coconut husk is the best all around substrate.

Jonathan/Highlander

jaijjs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I found that for hissers, no substrate is needed if you are using them for feeders.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Aquatic insect substrate

Regular fish tank gravel (and a couple fake or real plants) works great for aquatic insects, such as predacious diving beetles (Dytiscidae) or giant water bugs (Belostomatidae). Diving beetles, especially, like clinging to gravel on the bottom where they can wait to ambush prey.

Alex S.

Pedro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i really like peatmoss and coconut husk, they don't seem to mold very easly, i find dirt molds really easly.