An almost fatal mistake

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
I've been moving my larger slings - 1"+ - into larger homes and putting them into the "preschool" - my 55 gallon tank. One of the little ones which was just an inch was put into a 4x5x3 inch clear plastic food storage container with airholes in the lid. I was CERTAIN that none of the holes were big enough to allow it to escape because it's butt was so fat - fatter than the diameter of any of the holes. I was WRONG. This morning, I slept in, didn't go into the spider room until 9 am. To my horror, when I looked into the 55 gallon tank there was my baby floating in the 16 oz deli cup of water that I keep in there for humidity!! Fortunately for her she had not been in there long enough to become completely soaked and sink. I lifted her out on my fingers and I feared the worst, as she didn't move. I carefully wicked the water off of her with a soft artist brush and after about 10 minutes she recovered. I have learned my lesson - even if the butt is bigger than the holes they can still pull it through some how. I am just lucky I found her in time. Now I hope that her ordeal doesn't have any lasting effects or cause her to get any fungus infections from having been so wet.

Gail

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear of the trouble Gail, but thanks for the post. I'd rather learn from the experiences of others than to have my own of a similar nature. Your description of the escape may be how I lost my C. crawshayi... still MIA.

Botar

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
meaning to ask

Gail
was meaning to ask you and anyone else intrested ...
could you post a pic of your "setup" I am about to finally convience my wife to be that I need to "take ownership" of the tiny study for a spider room. Just want to get a few ideas on the best set up . I will soon have slings and have several T's in diffrent stages of growth. Never had a whole room to play with though :) :D

horray!
Looseyfur
e.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Here's a pic of part of the spider room. This is the 55 gallon tank that I use as a "preschool". The plastic drawer in the lower right is my "nursery" and some of my adult and sub-adult spiders are stacked on the shelf under the 55 gallon tank. Other adults are kept in similar housing and stacked up in "available space" - my spider room also happens to be my home office :D I keep the few live feeders (I feed mostly thawed frozen crix now and only have a few types of live insects for my fussy spiders and the aboreals) in the closet - several colonies of mealworms, large totes with screen lids for live crickets and roaches, and a shoebox of waxworms.

Gail

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
here's my setup inside my room.. not that great like Gail...:) that big white thing is the heat for my all my Ts and myself :)

Attachments

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
Im frightened to death of my youngest spiders drowning, so i keep cotton wool in the water bowl untill they are bigger. This is fine, as long as you remember to change the cotton wool every few days.