unexplained scorpion death.

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi all,
just wondering if any1 can help me out here, i checked on my scorpion this afternoon, and to my horror he was dead :( . but i don't know what could of caused it. he was about 2-2.5cm long, he was living at room temp (his tank was so small it was too hard to heat effectively). he had a nice humid environment, suitable hide. i hadn't fed him in a while, but that was because he was going into moult, but he was in no way thin, as i fed him up before i stopped prior to moult (which he never did).

any1 help me to as he may of died?

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You don't have a cat do you? As I have learned numerous times on threads, Scorps and cats don't mix.

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes i have a cat, are you suggesting the cat attacked the scorp or that its an airborn kind of thing? because the scorpion was in "purrfect" (sorry for the terrible joke...) condition, that was one of the first things i checked.

woijchik89

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ScorpDude said:
yes i have a cat, are you suggesting the cat attacked the scorp or that its an airborn kind of thing? because the scorpion was in "purrfect" (sorry for the terrible joke...) condition, that was one of the first things i checked.
Sometimes cats tend to "bite" scorps get, stung then drop them, and the scorp dies of stress. Sometimes the scorps don't look like they've been messed with.

Are you sure he's dead by the way? Sometimes they don't move alot when going through molts.

Nice joke. LoL {D

~LaTeR~

-Ben

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i lost 3 emp babies[my first ever] (2 at premoult and one at failed moult) because i was keeping them at room temperature,

with the temp over 25oC they never fail a moult,
so temp is the killer

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so the fact that i kept him at room temp was the reason he died?

and yes i am pretty sure he is dead, i was able to turn him over ( i was examining him) onto is back.

do you think it is worth geting another scorp? its just sum1 offered me a pair...

habeas scorpius

Arachnopeon
of course it's worth getting a new scorpion; there's no sense in crying over spilled scorpions. you'll get a little better at caring for scorps with each new lesson you learn. good luck!

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
erm
make sure you get a heat mat for the winter months, its starting to warm up so it shoul dbe ok

otherwise GET AN ADULT!
:p

habeas scorpius

Arachnopeon
how long had you had the scorpion? if it was a recent import from a far away land, you may be at risk of introducing the scorpion pox to the rest of your 8 legged friends. always wash your hands after handling a scorpion.

an interesting fact is that 90% of monkeys carry Herpes B, which has caused 19 deaths of 24 reported cases in America. lizards regularly harbor the salmonella bacteria, and can infect you with their droppings. i don't actually know of any scorpion borne illnesses, but does anyone else know if they're out there and if an unexplained scorpial death should raise suspicion?

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
George Carnell said:
i lost 3 emp babies[my first ever] (2 at premoult and one at failed moult) because i was keeping them at room temperature,

with the temp over 25oC they never fail a moult,
so temp is the killer
Yep, when I first started, I had the same situation occur.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
On the cat topic, I had a cat break in to My emp tank and eat 3 juv. and 1 some what aggresive adult male