Moving to another country and bringing my tarantulas

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I'm looking into moving, but can't find much information for a few countries, I'm considering moving to, about bring my tarantula collection with me (and I won't go without them). Does anyone have any idea where to find that kind of information for the following countries?

Australia
France
Switzerland

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

-Bryan

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my first guess would be to try to contact an arachno-hobbyist in one of these countries to see if they have any info. Ultimately you'll probably have to contact their National Board of Wildlife or whatever facsimile they have that regulates exotic animals entering or exiting the country. Do any of their governments have a main webpage you could browse through?

This is a good question! I'm curious to see what the ultimate answer will be!

Good Luck.

Stealth Taco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When moving any pets through borders, you will need to run them through the countries wildlife agencies, they might be put in a quarentine to make sure they will not contaminate anything. As for your countries, all of these have websites where you could look up, or get numbers/links to determine what is needed for transport and immigration of your tarantulas. As for choice, you have some great countries lined up. Australia is a beautiful country with extremely nice people and a healthy environment for anyone looking for a good relaxing country. Switzerland I have heard is extremely nice but I would reccommend knowing some French before trying there. The same goes for France. Well, good luck with wherever you move, just know, it's about 8-10 hours to Europe and a 22 hour flight to Australia, so be sure you have your little pals completely suited for such a long trip! Google.com can definitly help if you need info on those countries. Good Luck!

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I'm not sure about France or Switzerland, but Australia has extremely strict import/export laws. I doubt you'd be allowed to bring your T's with you. Steve Nunn would be able to tell you much more than many of us could regarding Australia.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's true. Australlia has extremley strict laws on bringig over any live thing that isn't native to the country. I dont know for sure, but I'm fairy certain that you wouldn't be able to bring them there.

I beautiful country tho, I'd live there, but you seem to be set on keeping your T's. Goodluck with your choice, move and T's. Let us know how everthing goes. :)

Stealth Taco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Come to think of it, after every animal that is destroying there ecosystem over there, I doubt the Aussie Authorities would let you bring a T over with you.

Randomosity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The Swiss are fairly strict with security, so you will probably have to go through a lot of red tape.

Just so ya know...last time I was there (back in '99) they had at LEAST 100 security guards in plain view at the Zurich airport....at least 25 of them had M-249 SAWs (or the Belgian equivelent)...those are machine guns by the way...and the rest toted around MP-5 Sub-machine guns. So they don't mess around.

However, you better make sure your house be climate controlled there, for in at least the Valais Canton, it goes from one extreme to the other during the seasons.

As for the French...just repeat this phrase and you can do whatever you want: "Ich verlange Ihre Übergabe!"

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I'm starting to get worried about Australia, now, which sucks. That was my #1 choice :(

-Bryan

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Whenever I do a species search, a few French T sites usually pop up - I believe there's quite a number of enthusiasts there.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
TheEternal said:
I'm starting to get worried about Australia, now, which sucks. That was my #1 choice :(

-Bryan
I'm 99.9% positive that you CANNOT bring your Ts to Aussieland. A friend emigrated (sp?) and had to sell her collection to move there.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Immortal_sin said:
I'm 99.9% positive that you CANNOT bring your Ts to Aussieland. A friend emigrated (sp?) and had to sell her collection to move there.
Aren't there hobbiests there? :?

-Bryan

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep, but with Aussie-T's, I'd venture :)

You could always collect cane toads instead..or foxes..or rats..or wildcats :)

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
It's not about the hobby. I have a very strong bond with a few of my tarantulas. I won't go anywhere without them. It's very important to me.

I found the following information for Australia, but can't figure out what it's saying :? Any idea what it means?

-Bryan

Tescos

Banned
Old Timer
TheEternal said:
It's not about the hobby. I have a very strong bond with a few of my tarantulas. I won't go anywhere without them. It's very important to me.

I found the following information for Australia, but can't figure out what it's saying :? Any idea what it means?

-Bryan
It looks as if its saying that in order for you to take your tarantulas to Australia, your going to need one heak of alot of paperwork! It also looks as if the authorities in Australia would have to inspect where you are going to keep your tarantulas (before your tarantulas even get there) and would check over your escapee pervention etc. I would very much doubt the authorities would make it easy for you either! Not only that even if you get through all this, it says the laws can be subject to change,which in the worst case they would all have to be destroyied!
I´m sure that Steve Nunn could give you more information about this.Try and give him an email or pm I think he does post on this site quite often.

As for France and Switzerland I shouldn´t think you would so many problems,but you will most likely have to get an import permit and also some CITES docs to acompany an Brachy spp. that you wish to bring in.
Either way I think you may be paying out abit of cash for all this!
Best of luck with your move.

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T's aside I always heard that it is a pain to move to Australia. They like to have tourists, but they do not like immigrants. A friend of mine wanted to move there, but there was so much BS that he went somewhere else instead.

/2nd hand story

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Bryan,
It can be done (Australia), but, and this is a really big j-lo but, you have to show they are your pets and you will not sell, give away or trade them once they are in the country. They will have to undergo at least three months in quarrantine (in which circumstances some spiders are always lost).

I would suggest you liase directly with both AQIS and Environment Australia, you should be able to find the website details through a search. Talk to them over the phone and not through emails, they are hopless on the net.

Cheers,
Steve

Hairyspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
RE:moving

Hello, I know Australia has a no export policy or at least it did, not sure about the import, but your best bet is to do a search on the web for the fish and game or similar agency for the areas you might move to. They will list all animals that are "illegal" to keep. it's alot easier than contacting them by phone.
Hope this helps

Hairy

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know this might not be the point...but dude - why move?

Later,

Jake

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
I think to live in switzerland, like emigrate you need $$$$. they dont want just any old rif raff moving in. Not like the Evil USA.
T

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
Hi Bryan,
It can be done (Australia), but, and this is a really big j-lo but, you have to show they are your pets and you will not sell, give away or trade them once they are in the country. They will have to undergo at least three months in quarrantine (in which circumstances some spiders are always lost).

I would suggest you liase directly with both AQIS and Environment Australia, you should be able to find the website details through a search. Talk to them over the phone and not through emails, they are hopless on the net.
Thanks, Steve :) That's very helpful!

-Bryan