Q about a T that just wont eat...

Spidey_Girl

Arachnopeon
Exactly how normal is it for a T to not eat?

I have had my G. rosea for 6 days now and it has not eaten one cricket.

How concerned should I be and can anyone offer any suggestions on what I should do? I don't want it to die. :(

One other thing, it never goes in to it's hiding place.

I have read that this type of T is very unpredictable as far as behavior. But I can't help being a bit concerned.

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Spidey_Girl said:
Exactly how normal is it for a T to not eat?

I have had my G. rosea for 6 days now and it has not eaten one cricket.

How concerned should I be and can anyone offer any suggestions on what I should do? I don't want it to die. :(

One other thing, it never goes in to it's hiding place.
Roseas may make a burrow or they may not. They might use a hide if you give them one, or they might not. I have two Rosea and one made an elaborate burrow and hides in it sometimes, and the other just sits out in the open all day, never hides...

How big is it? If it is very big it might want something bigger than a cricket. Also it might still be getting used to it's new container, sometimes they won't eat for a few weeks until they take to their new home.

Grammastola genus have a very long and slow molt cycle. If they are in premolt they may not eat for several MONTHS

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Hi Spidey_Girl,

Read the sticky on G. rosea for lots of good info.

I would start to worry if an adult G. rosea went much over two years without eating. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for their eating/fasting habits. When in fasting mode, I just drop in a test cricket to my G. roseas every couple of weeks. If the cricket is eaten, I add more. Otherwise, I take out uneaten crickets after 24 hours just in case a molt is going to occur.

Same goes for their sheltering/not sheltering habits. They are very individualistic tarantulas, highly idiosyncratic, but always interesting. (Even the "pet rocks" can offer a thrill when a leg moves! LOL) G. roseas are one of my favorites for raising from a tiny sling. (OK, all tarantulas are my favorites for raising from tiny slings...)

Good luck with your T, and may this be the first of many!

Stealth Taco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a G. Rosea as well and he just sits out and doesn't eat. He is in premolt right now because his skin is getting darker so have no fear, if they don't eat, no problem, if he is in premolt he might not want to eat, but it really all depends on how your T is with it's new environment.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You have nothing to worry about my rosea goes off food all the time, Last week she ate her first meal in 3 months despite being offered weekly