Species Grammostola rosea (a.k.a. Grammostola cala)

SpiderJoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi everybody,

I started to think about my rosie and I came to the conclusion that this species has become a "real" pet in the sence of they are incorporated in our families and homes. They are world famous for their character, and many people have had a G. Rosea as their first Tarantula to start with in the hobby.My G. Rosea has a place next to my bed, and every day I wake up next to her. She is a sweet spider, with her own personality. Sometimes I stand before her tank and she just walks up to me, like a way of saying hello. I really love this. Sometimes, like once in a half year or something, when she walks to the door of her enclosure, I open the door and she climbs out of the enclosure... On her own! I don't have to bother her with something to get her out of the cage, that's why I never touch my tarantula's, eventhough that my rosie probably wouldn't mind it sometimes. After a walk on my bed or over my arm, I put her back into her enclosure and she goes back to her log, which looks a bit like a big chair, she sit's on it like she has a huge relaxing chair, how sweet! I got her when I was browsing in a pet shop in another town here in The Netherlands. She misses a piece of her leg, but it didn't bother me. She is a great tarantula to have, gentle, non-agressive, and with her own personality, which all spiders have and make them the more fascinating. G. Rosea sometimes suprises people when they stop eating.Sometimes they do that, sometimes it is pre-molt, sometimes disliking of offered food. I offered my Rosie grashoppers, I thought she would like them 'cause all my spiders love them, but she didn't touch them. Eventhough she had not eaten in several weeks. And sometimes it seems like they are on fast or something. When you are worried about this, just check the abdomen, as long as it stays plump, you don't have to worrie about a thing, because the spider knows what it is doing. At my conclusing I just like to say that this species will suprise you with it's interesting behaviour and it's own personality, this species was my second tarantula, and I'm really happy to have her, she, like the other spiders and animals in my house are part of my family.

So tell me why do YOU love your rosie?

Regards,

Joey

My Rosie

Last edited:

MANSON

Arachnopeon
well, im glad to hear someones G.rosea is not a ... shall i say...little devil. My rose is lucifer himself. Everytime she goes to the top of the tank its surely not to greet me , but too fight some more with my tweezers. Glad to hear yours is so nice, mine would kill me in my sleep if i let it... {D

sean

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Rosie

She(or he) was a "save" from a pet store. When i found it, it was sitting on aquarium gravel, no hide and like 10 crix in a 2.5 gal aquarium. needless to say i had to free her from that hell. I got it home and put a hide in there and a 3 liter pepsi bottle lid for a water dish. Changed the substrate to a sand topsoil mix (rosies are from desert areas sand is common...) and now it has webbed over the hide, the fake plants and most of the substrate, Silk sheets anyone LOL...
here she/ he is...

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
G. rosea was my first. When she died after 10 years, I replaced her with another, and then started with other species. Now have 4 G. rosea among my 50+ tarantulas. Here is a picture of my favorite - got it two years ago as a tiny pink sling, and now it has become a lovely red morph, much to my delight. I rarely hold my spiders, but this one seems to enjoy coming out to sit on my hand of its own accord. I just love the idiosyncrasies of the roseas. Sure do wish my big female would molt or start eating so she could meet my male...

Attachments

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Argh, that's not the picture I wanted to show. Previous picture was prior to most recent molt. Here's another try to show her color now.

Attachments

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is my Rose "Socrates", and yes, she was my first T as well.

---
Wendy
---

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is my little girl and her name is Hagrid. :) I love her to death. She use to be weary of letting me hold her but now she even comes to me when she wants to be held. :p She is also the tarantula in my avatar.:)

Attachments

Stealth Taco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is my rosey Pinochet. Malevolent lil jerk, he loves doing battle with my tweezers and assuming a threat posture whenever I drop, or take a cricket out. Not that he eats them anyway.

Attachments

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's my Maggie...and she is by no means a sweetheart! She was my second T and in the three and a half years I've had her, I've seen every conceivable quirk from a tarantula from her. Most all of the time, she's a real b***h...and then she'll crawl up on you like nothing's wrong. I swear, if I ever figure these out, I'll write a book!

Attachments

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I currently have 4 Rosehairs, three of them known females and one "probably" female. Each has a different personality, pointing out how difficult it is to generalize when it comes to the temperaments of various species. The largest has the most "Jekyll-Hyde" personality; one day she will be very calm and docile and the next day she will rear up in a threat display just from me walking by her enclosure! One, a medium-sized gal, is currently in an extended Pre-Moult, and is a total bee-atch, ALL of the time! The other two are the sweeties; the smallest is a sub-adult about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, who is very sweet, even though she, too, is in a pre-moult right now. She will run around as if in a panic when I first open her enclosure, but once I put my hand down flat on the floor of the enclosure, she will willingly, without prodding, step up on it. The other spider I just got two nights ago from the owner of an exotic-oriented pet shop I know, for the whopping price of $5.00. This is the one whose gender I'm not sure of, but the guy I got her from, who is pretty knowledgeable about tarantulas, said he believed it to be female. This one has the best color, very pink, and also will willingly step up onto my hand without prodding, even climbing up the wall of its enclosure to do so! In the short time I've had this one, I've gotten quite fond of it, and I will be very disappointed if it turns out to be a male! My first-ever Rosehair, who I traded several weeks ago to the owner of the same pet shop, was one of the most aggressive spiders I've ever seen, bar none! She would literally chase my hand around her enclosure when I did routine housecleaning, lunging and striking with her fangs! If I put anything in her enclosure, such as a pencil, she would immediately attack it, trying to pull it away from me. Oddly enough, though she tries to attack the pet shop owner just as she did with me, his 12-year-old daughter is able to pick up and handle this spider without so much as a slight threat display from it! Five different Rosehairs, five different personalities.

pitbulllady

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well my husband's 2 roseys think there OBT but mine he is a big eater. Everytime I threw crickets in he would do after and eat them. i never really tested his temperment really. He is at Spiderman2 house matured and waiting to be bred with his female :) Here is a pic of him

leo3375

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is Artemis Rose, my 3.5"–4" rosie. I got her over 3 months ago so she's my first T. She's very mellow, laid-back, and quite tolerant of my presence. She never really uses the hide I've provided for her, either, preferring to hang out in the open. She hasn't done any digging in her enclosure but she's webbed it up quite well. I'm hoping she molts in a few weeks so that I can confirm her gender, but from what I could tell, she's probably all girl.

(I apoligize for the blurriness; I will eventually get some ace digital photos of my Ts.)

Attachments

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is So Funny!

Joe1968 said:
this is my girl G. rosea named "Rosita", she loves to pose with the boys. :)
I got a real kick out of those picks, Joe! They look like scenes from one of those "B" movie horror flicks from the '50's, about some giant killer spider and the brave military guys going out to do battle with it!

pitbulllady

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LOL, i luv B movies :D , yeah my rosie is so docile i can even arange her legs for posing. :D

Stealth Taco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There is definitly some photoshop potential with crickets, war toys and that rosey....hehe it makes me giggle!

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joe1968 said:
this is my girl G. rosea named "Rosita", she loves to pose with the boys. :)
You're pics are playing with my mind lol. I can't gauge a proper size on the Rose Hair or on the size of the toys lol. It is really mind boggling to look at them. :p

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. rosea is my fave, as well. Was my 1st & now have 6, along with 40+ others. They range from 1/2" to 5", so cute when they're small & beautiful when grown.
3 are females, waiting about 2 yrs for ANYBODY to molt! One of these is Sandi, my "Rose from Hell!". She was not cared for properly, before I "rescued" her, and has still not forgiven the "hand". Perhaps...some day...
Fluffy, the cricket slayer,(kids love her!) has not eaten in 2 mos, but not concerned, one gets accustomed to this, with rosea, as well as so-o-o many others.

leo3375, My A.versi is Artemis, named for her hunting prowess! ;)

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My wife just got a mature male. Very good coloration, and he's a real kitten. :) Can't wait until my spiderling gets a little larger.

I was kind of worried about him being a male, because they tend to be more active, but it seems that it's not a problem. She just has an active, friendly tarantula.

Chris