Gravid females

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
Hey,
I have many T's that are gravid and for some its been awhile now, and some should be producing an eggsac. Now the question is What things can I do to make my gals produce? change in climate? ( I know not a dramatic change in temp and humidity) Feed them more regularly than usual? Well just want to see you feedback on this subject.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have heard, but have NO experience with this....that for some NW species (like Brachypelma) some people will cool them down after mating. I may try this myself, I'm getting a male B smithi on Wed to mate with my female. I've heard that about 60 degrees for 60 days or so after mating MAY help them to produce..
I don't know what species your gravid females are though, so have no idea if it applies or not!

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What? Did'ja forget you had a brother? When you're ready to learn...come to the master. :}

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by LaRiz
What? Did'ja forget you had a brother? When you're ready to learn...come to the master. :}
Maybe he thought he'd get a quicker answer here.... :D

Will the master be sharing his vast knowledge with the rest of us??? ;)

@Jack,

I'm assuming you're probably referring to your Many Haplopelma's and hopefully 1 P. irminia ;) Unfortunately, my breeding experience at this time is very limited and I can't give you any more info than Holley did. I have heard anecdotal reports that powerfeeding may induce a molt as opposed to an eggsac (Can't remember where though :( ) I know that in many scorpion species an increase in heat induces birthing, how that will translate to T's I have no idea however....

Scott

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
Master hell no to me lol

well bro lets see hm where to start rmeember that H schmidti <-- its mostly about that one you are at a loss about it lol at least I didnt email volker yet muhahahaha

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
oh yeah

I just wanted to see all the responses, just to give me some more Ideas, John lol master of what bation lmao muhahahaha ;P , one thing for sure its easy to get them mated but the wait is irritating lol

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by mrderanged
Maybe he thought he'd get a quicker answer here.... :D
Will the master be sharing his vast knowledge with the rest of us??? ;)
Scott
Looks like to me, the answers aren't coming quick enough. ;P
My above reply was just playin' around. Just wanted to get a laugh. I did; thanks Jeremy.
Seriously, I'm a total newbie at this and am just learning like the rest. I've had luck, that's all. Um, lucky more than once! YEE HAW :D

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Master hell no to me lol

Originally posted by Haploman
well bro lets see hm where to start rmeember that H schmidti <-- its mostly about that one you are at a loss about it lol at least I didnt email volker yet muhahahaha
Oh, I remember that H. schmidti. I should... remember this pic? You probably do, 'cause you're probably thinking of STEALING it, Haploman :D ;P
Like that avatar of "yours". :eek:
Volker simply shared his breeding experience with me, that's all. Took around nine months to see an eggsac after the pairing. There was a cool down period. Jack, don't worry about that cool down period 'cause she already had one. All you have to do is just sit back and wait for an eggsac. I did the rest. :p
I'm not at all at a loss, as to why she hasn't dropped yet. With my Poecilotheria rufilata breeding, she took well over 8 months before she made an eggsac. It takes time to create something so awesome.
You're lucky you got her back (H. schmidti). I was feelin' sorry for you. She was yours to begin with. You could thank me whenever you deem fit.
=D :}
john (not the master, and just havin' fun...um, at my brother's expense)

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: oh yeah

Originally posted by Haploman
I just wanted to see all the responses, just to give me some more Ideas, John lol master of what bation lmao muhahahaha ;P , one thing for sure its easy to get them mated but the wait is irritating lol
Yeah, I know. I'm just busting your stones.
Remember, you've had pairings. Don't know if they mated until the female's drops something nice.
I've seen dud males in the past. I wish you luck, 'cause you damn well better givith thou brethren a sh!tl9@D of babies from every one that drops. Or johneth, layeth the smack down. LOL :}

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

oh man i'm drooling with envy,h. scmidti, h. schmidti, h. schmidti, selenocosmia hainaina, selenocosmia haina, selenocosmia hainaia, can't get it out of my head ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!--Jeff ''haploman and larizz wannabe''

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Kidding aside...hopefully some advice...

my thoughts,
I've heard of powerfeeding them, cooling them down, cycle them seasonally and a couple others.
There's a bunch of strategies. All the tarantulas I've bred in the past (not very many) that have had successful eggsacs all mated in the fall. Where temps are starting to cool down, day/night cycle changes. Eggsacs weren't seen until early summer. Of course, this is not a rule, as I'm sure there are breedings out there that didn't happen in the fall. For me, this is how it was.
Some hobbyists believe the female must be already carrying eggs in order to successfully breed and make an eggsac. And this probably happens. In my cases, and to coincide with the lengthy wait after a pairing, the female carries around the sperm, until conditions are right in order to lay eggs and make that eggsac. (eggs are fertilized when laid, not internally) What are the right conditions? Obviously, it varies from species to species. We could only guess based on where that particular species is from, and then try to duplicate that in captivity. Which is a problem in itself. Also, it goes without saying (but I will anyway), that some species are easier than others. Pterinochilius on one end, perhaps Xenethis on the other.
Jack, I don't remember what tarantulas you have, that were paired up (C. marshalli, P. irminia, something Haplopelma), but I think that you should keep that room so hot this time of year. The wild caught tarantulas that were paired may even be a little screwed up. Their "clocks" still might be set to wherever they were last.
john

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Forgot to mention...

If you want some sound advice on breeding tarantulas, email Kelly Swift, Todd Gearheart and John Hoke and ask them about them. They're the "masters".

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
lol

John
thx for busting my arse hahahaha my Cyriopagopus paganus is now mated another one added to many that are frigging gravid

VI6SIX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
speaking for e-spiderworld I'd say breedind T's is half luck and half persistance but I will say we don't power feed ever (think it might have adverse affects on the reproductive systems and it might make a gravid female molt instead of make an eggsac)we do however give possibly gravid females an aproprately sized rodent and then return therm to there normal feeding scedual (fed every 2 weeks)and keep our fingers crossed. I think alot of the problems peole have with breeding is they want to look at there spiders a little too much if you think shes gonna pop out a sac LEAVE HER ALONE either she is or she isn't and all pestering a T will get you is an eaten eggsac

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes indeed John, they are masters at breeding. Unfortunately I've only had the pleasure of speaking with Kelly Swift, and I must say he does KNOW how to breed tarantulas. Kelly is the master.

-Jeremy