Liocheles pics

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My pair of Liocheles waigiensis arrived today so I thought I would share pics of them! So far they are proving to be ab incredible species, by far the most active I have got!
The top pic is of the female, the bottom is of the male.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I'm not much for the "nice scorp" fluff posts, but I have to say that at this time my jealousy knows no bounds. I would absolutely love to have some Liocheles.

Cheers,
Dave

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ditto, I've been hunting like crazy for some wild L. australasiae, I must have hiked nearly 100KM and turned over about 10,000 rocks but as yet no luck, its really quite annoying.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
fusion,

Had you considered looking up? ;) Where were you hunting?

Cheers,
Dave

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
fusion,

Had you considered looking up? ;) Where were you hunting?

Cheers,
Dave
Tai Po Kau forest in Hong Kong, don't worry I did my research they are terrestrial and have always been found under stones/clods of earth, though the irony of searching all that time in the wrong place would have been funny :D . I guess they are just uncommon, surprising considering their parthenogenic reproduction, obviously the population is very localised. I know they exist there I just can't find the damn things :mad: .

Edit: actually re-reading the notes in the Koch paper, in australia some where found in rotten wood under bark, so its seems they're not purely terrestrial.

Last edited:

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
I'm not much for the "nice scorp" fluff posts, but I have to say that at this time my jealousy knows no bounds. I would absolutely love to have some Liocheles.

Cheers,
Dave
Yes, I'm also very envious Richard !
Great scorpions :)
Greetings,
Eric

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
hey, am I being accused of posting fluff here or is it a compliment?!! ;) :D

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nice looking scorp but i found that the pair i had where realy inactive

john

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
fatbloke said:
nice looking scorp but i found that the pair i had where realy inactive

john
Thats quite interesting. Mine were scuttling around, banging the sides of their enclosure. I do get up at 3:00am to go to work though, maybe thats the secret! I get to see all my scorps when they are most active!

I have heard from another collevtor though that his Liocheles are also very active at night. I suppose as with most species it can vary with each individual and the conditions its being kept in.

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
maybe it is down to the individual scorpion as i know some of my emperors are active during the day and not at night
also do you mind if i ask where you got them from

john

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
fusion121 said:
Edit: actually re-reading the notes in the Koch paper, in australia some where found in rotten wood under bark, so its seems they're not purely terrestrial.
Look them up in Polis (1990). p255.

Richard_uk said:
hey, am I being accused of posting fluff here or is it a compliment?!!
Compliment all the way. I was suggesting that the usual selection of "hey nice scorp" responses (effectively what I did) constitute fluff.

Cheers,
Dave

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well cheers Dave! It means a lot to me to have someone with a collection such as yourself find interest in my meagre offerings. You now know how I feel everytime someone posts a pic of a Lieurus, Centruroides, parabuthus.................

Peloquin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Richard, they are a lovely scorp. Mine also are really active and come out to play each night.
Oh, I got a job pretty quick so back online mate.

Menthu_Rae

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, I just registered here... I just bought a Liocheles waigiensis today, it's a pretty cool little thing - my first scorpion/"different" pet.

ATM he/she/it is living in a plastic container - but a friend is giving me a 2ft glass tank on the weekend - I'm going to try to set up a bit of a habitat for him/her/it ;P :D

Here's a pic!

Has anyone got any tips/advice for keepings this species? I'm from Australia and apparently this species are pretty common for pets.

Attachments

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
keep it fairly humid and quite hot 25-30 C

welcome to the boards! beautiful scorpies you have there ;P

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i get a lio sp in my area, just down the road, not sure wat sp tho, been told its Liocheles waigiensis