Northern Nevada Ts

cactus-one

Arachnopeon
I live near Reno, Nevada. I understand that Aphonopelma iodius (or nevadanum) is native to this area. Does anyone have any information regarding this tarantula, or where colonies may be found?

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cactus-one said:
I live near Reno, Nevada. I understand that Aphonopelma iodius (or nevadanum) is native to this area. Does anyone have any information regarding this tarantula, or where colonies may be found?

A. iodius/melanium aka Salt Lake County Brown: similar to, but darker than A. chalcodes, found in deserts of Utah. (courtesy of e-spiderworld, I love those guys!) ;)

Toiyabe

Arachnopeon
Saw one yesterday

I also live near Reno, in Palomino Valley. I saw a large Tarantula near my house yesterday. I sent some photos to Brent Hendrixson of East Carolina University, and he said it was an adult male, likely Aphonopelma iodius. He also said that he seen no previous record of that species this far north in Nevada, but I figure that's just because no one with a PhD has been out looking for them.

Toiyabe

Arachnopeon
some pics

I guess I should have included some pictures of the T I saw yesterday. These were taken about 20 miles NE of Reno.

Attachments

jewbacca

Arachnopeon
10-1-10
Northern nevada medical center in Sparks, NV (just east of reno) at the front entrance sliding doors, what should walk up but a beautiful litter jobber. Its about 2.5 in long with a light brown, bordering on blonde cephlothorax, and a darker brown and fairly thin abdomen. seems a might friendly, as he continued to run onto my palm when I tried to set it free, so I am gonna keep it.

2nd one in as many weeks. Lived here 30 years never seen one. Wild stuff.

Debating tho as to whether i should invest in cork based substrate or go dig up some good ole NV soil.

any suggestions are appreciated.

soon as I figger out how to get my film on disc I will up a pic. it looks very much like the one above.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
10-1-10
Northern nevada medical center in Sparks, NV (just east of reno) at the front entrance sliding doors, what should walk up but a beautiful litter jobber. Its about 2.5 in long with a light brown, bordering on blonde cephlothorax, and a darker brown and fairly thin abdomen. seems a might friendly, as he continued to run onto my palm when I tried to set it free, so I am gonna keep it.

2nd one in as many weeks. Lived here 30 years never seen one. Wild stuff.

Debating tho as to whether i should invest in cork based substrate or go dig up some good ole NV soil.

any suggestions are appreciated.

soon as I figger out how to get my film on disc I will up a pic. it looks very much like the one above.
I know nothing about these Ts but I just had to say, your username is bordering on genius! It really brought a smile to my face.
(sorry for the off-topic)

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Jewbacca,
I too live in Reno, and am actually currently looking for any of the several Desert species that we do get here in Northern Nevada. If you happen across any others, please PM me, and I'd gladly take one or two off of your hands. I just joined this forum as a result of seeing your post, and look forward to learning, and sharing much more. I might just go out that way tomorrow for a desert walk, and see what I come across. I'm a 4th generatio native to the area, and have only ever seen (1), but there have been MANY reports these past couple of weeks about sightings of them in the area.
All the best.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
....and yet another mm out for a stroll after the ultimate molt. :) Thanks for sharing the pics. Still no road-crossing hentzi here in nw La this fall- but I haven't been in the best of habitat for 'em either.
Terry

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
does this mean that even IF I were to capture one of these right now, he'd inevitably die soon, or is the Male's untimely death due only in part to the Female eating him! I've read that they can live for quite a few years beyond sexual maturity, but are regularly killed by their female counterparts.???

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
I just saw a T exactly like this one the other day at my kids school during "family night" I noticed a bunch of kids past the play ground chanting "kill it kill it!",so I went over to find a sweet lookin mature male corned by these kids.I then had to explain why they should leave this poor guy alone.Most got bored listening to me talk and just went away but a few stuck around to help me relocate him.After it was done one little guy stuck around and asked every question under the sun,including,"so why do they have hooks in the first place.".So I told him.Then it occurred to me that I had possibly just given this youngster his fist birds and the bees talk..... awkward!But he walked away with a new found respect and that's really what it's all about.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
does this mean that even IF I were to capture one of these right now, he'd inevitably die soon, or is the Male's untimely death due only in part to the Female eating him! I've read that they can live for quite a few years beyond sexual maturity, but are regularly killed by their female counterparts.???
Ben, Mature male t's, depending upon genera and spp, live anywhere from ~ 9 months to two years+ after their ultimate molt. I'm not certain about Aphonopelma but being one of the longer-lived genera, they'd probably last maybe a year or more......that is, unless munched by a fem :razz:.

Again, I don't have a clue about other U.S. reps of the genera, but hentzi found out wandering here in nw La. are almost always mature males. I know someone who found a large indiv that was almost certainly female after heavy rains- I figure it likely was flooded from a burrow. All females/immatures here are invariably found either in a scrape under a rock or in a burrow. Personally, I've found mature males ONLY out wandering. :) Terry

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
short answer

YES!;) You should let him go so he can do his job before he goes to the great beyond.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Ben, Mature male t's, depending upon genera and spp, live anywhere from ~ 9 months to two years+ after their ultimate molt. I'm not certain about Aphonopelma but being one of the longer-lived genera, they'd probably last maybe a year or more......that is, unless munched by a fem :razz:.

Again, I don't have a clue about other U.S. reps of the genera, but hentzi found out wandering here in nw La. are almost always mature males. I know someone who found a large indiv that was almost certainly female after heavy rains- I figure it likely was flooded from a burrow. All females/immatures here are invariably found either in a scrape under a rock or in a burrow. Personally, I've found mature males ONLY out wandering. :) Terry
Terry,
MANY THANKS! We've been having rain for the last couple days out here in the high desert of Reno, and it looks like we're in store for at least 3 more. Maybe I can find a female Aphonopelma on the move trying to get out of all of this rain. It's rare that we get a week staight of rain here in the desert, but when we do, the ground saturates quickly, and the likliehood of Arachnids being driven from their burrows is high. I suppose this is quite unfortunate timing, given that the mature males, are all out and about looking for their last hurrah. I'm sure it won't last beyond this week, so if I'm to find a wild female, I suppose I should get out and get looking! If not, there are several New River varieties available online for less than $40, and a GUARENTEED female, would be worth the investment.

I actually don't currently keep ANY T's, but have always been fascinated, and interested in collecting them. If there were a "better" starter species than a local Aphonopelma, then I'm definately ALL EARS, butI truly liked the idea of a Native specimen from my local area, and had read many times that these were in fact quite docile, (although slow growing), varieties of Tarantula. Again, I thank ALL of you ahead of time for all of your expertise.

This should prove to be quite fun...

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mature males live ~1-2 months in the wild. In captivity, yes, they can live for longer.
Do they get eaten by females? very rarely...they get picked off by predators FAR more frequently, due to them being out wandering around where they can be seen.

Also, the Reno T's are A. iodius. A number of other names from that region were synonymized by Prentice.

And don't try and mate a male from Reno (A. iodius) with a female A. sp. New River (A. chalcodes). Two different species.

Chris

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Mature males live ~1-2 months in the wild. In captivity, yes, they can live for longer.
Do they get eaten by females? very rarely...they get picked off by predators FAR more frequently, due to them being out wandering around where they can be seen.

Also, the Reno T's are A. iodius. A number of other names from that region were synonymized by Prentice.

And don't try and mate a male from Reno (A. iodius) with a female A. sp. New River (A. chalcodes). Two different species.

Chris
Chris, I've been reading may varied, and often conflicting comments, regarding the Aphonopelma iodius. In your opinion, are the A. iodius, a part of the eutylenum complex, or is iodium, a complex of it's own, with species like A. melanium, making up the iodium complex??? I know MUCH work still need to be done, on their systematic taxonomy, but was curious, as to whether or not, any of YOUR work, covered species, this far west???

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A. iodius are very cool spider. They seem to have more burrowing tendancies than other aphonapelmas. When I find them they are usually in the foothills above the valley. Keep them how you would with just about any other aphonapelma.
Billy

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My PhD project (as part of the Aphonopelma REVSYS) is to revise the A. iodius complex (this includes the 3 sister species complexes of A. eutylenum, A. iodius, and A. chalcodes). The systematic revision is the backbone for the work, after which comparitive phylogeographic analyses will be carried out to understand the evolutionary history of the group. My side project is revising the A. reversum species complex (A. reversum, A. steindachneri, and A. phanus). Much the same will be done with this group, but some population genetic analyses will also be included b/c they do some funky stuff when it comes to their distribution.

All three A. iodius complex species groups are made up of a bunch of described species, most of which are not going to be valid (some of which has already been published, see Prentice).

And our work (the Bond lab) encompasses all of the "Aphonopelma" range...down into Costa Rica and Panama

billy28 - good observation! yes, A. iodius does not seem to like the hot desert valleys...foothills are generally the best place to find them.

Chris

jere000

Arachnosquire
You think that you could find these guys around lake mead?It's really the only place I have found wildlife.