Chamelion spider

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is it possible that the horrible lights used by some pet stores could cause a T to appear lighter. I rescued Betty, my A. seemanni, Thursday from that wretched pet store and she looked like a dirty grey color. Now, she looks like she's getting darker. I know that a T's abdomen getting darker is usually a sign of molting, but it's her legs that are getting darker. She was a uniform dirty grey, but now the top section of her legs is almost black. She's eating great and is very active. She seems content in her new home. Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Jeri

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lighting can totally change the appearance of your T. If she looks diffrent in your home from the petstore It's a sure bet. If her colors are changing after you allready have had her in your place then It could be signs of a molt.

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
Lighting can totally change the appearance of your T. If she looks diffrent in your home from the petstore It's a sure bet. If her colors are changing after you allready have had her in your place then It could be signs of a molt.
She still looked grey for a few days. Then, over the weekend, I noticed her legs getting darker. As I said earlier, I knew darkening of the abdomen was a sign, I was just suprised to see her legs noticibly darker.

Jeri

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some Ts can be a different shades of color after a molt. Then they slowly change shades of color until the next molt. Most Ts get darker and not just the abdomen, the whole T.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Darkening

Yes, I can attest that the whole T darkens with time, fading until the next molt.
I have expressed my concern at several pet stores regarding the bright, hot lights they shine on their T's. NOT! T's abhor bright lights. It stresses them out and dehydrates them in my opinion.
Only one store said thank you and removed the lights, only to thank me by phone a month later happily stating that since removal of the lights not one of their T's died.
I gave them my T business card, glad I did! :D