Anyone kept or keeping wolf spiders?

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Has anyone kept or are you currently keeping wolf spiders as pets?

I was just curious because I have had to "dispose" of at least 3 juvenile wolf spiders in my house in as many weeks.
They weren't full grown, I would say they were about 3/4 to 1 inch in size, but I was wondering if they can be kept as pets like we keep tarantulas?

Will they readily take crickets? What kind of lifespan do they have? Any experiences anyone can share about these "scary" little buggers? They scare the crap outta me because they usually suprise/startle/scare me when they suddenly appear in my house. To me, they almost seem semi aggressive when they sorta jump at you when you try to catch them. I may try to capture the next one and see if i can raise one up to adulthood if this is feasible.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Try the Other Archnids forum. Wolf spiders are not tarantulas.
Here's a link.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/forumdisplay.php?f=12

btw, I have a nice, big house spider in a mason jar that I feed drowsy flies to. They make good pets. I've be trying a small cricket tonight, 'cos I just bought some for my mantids.

New Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When my son said he wanted a tarantula, I told him to start reading as much as he could and then we would catch a wolf for him to take care of prior to getting a T. He had it for several months and it even laid an egg sac while he had it. It grew pretty fast and was an interesting spider to keep. We fed it crickets and meal worms which it never turned down.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have kept several wolf spiders from time to time. Keep them like you would a tarantula of the same size. They will take crickets, grasshoppers etc. If you get one of the larger ones you can feed it larger food items like katydids. Hope this helps

Brian

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
kosh said:
Has anyone kept or are you currently keeping wolf spiders as pets?
Yeah, they're really jumpy, but a lot of fun. Short life spans, and once they're the size that you found, they may not have more than a year or so to live. They eat anything you feed them, more or less -- don't try an orange, though -- and they don't really climb well, so it's easy to keep them where they belong.

Chris

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes, I keep the Giant Wolf Spiders that are found around the desserts here. The biggest one Ive ever had had a legspan of a bit more than 3".

they eat almost anything you give them.

I keep mine on the natural soil that I find them in which is usually just fine dirt/dust with a bit of rocks and twigs. From the three that Ive kept, none have made there characteristic funnel tube.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yep. It depends on the genus, but some of them love to burrow. If it is in fact a burrowing wolf spider make sure to give them tons of space to burrow. The lifespan for females is around two years, males die shortly after maturity.

The take crickets readily. You know when they are full because they will kill the food and not eat it. Good luck and let us know if you obtain one.

Invert Nerd

Arachnopeon
most of the wolf spiders around my area are R. rabida (rabid wolf spiders) they are monsters. they do prettygood in captivity

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw one outside on my patio last night but I opted not to catch it. Then, this morning there was another one in my bathroom when I went to take a shower so I caught that one and have it in a jar with some of the same substrate I keep my T's on (50/50 peat/vermiculite).

I don't know how to tell the difference between the sexes but some of them I see seem to have more distinct markings on the abdomen and those are also "skinnier" than the other ones I see that have a darker abdomen and are a little fatter. The one I decided to catch was one of the darker fatter ones, so for whatever reason I guess it would be cool if it was female. Do these guys darken up before a moult like some T's? Could I be seeing premoult and non-premoult spiders in my yard or could the coloring be the difference between the sexes?

I have noticed that all of the wolf spiders I have been seeing lately around the house are all similar in size (approx. 3/4 inch) so I wonder if they are all from the same egg sack. I know nothing of the population density of wolf spiders in my yard but surely it is no coincidence that all of them I see are almost identical in size at this point. The last big one I saw was about 2 months ago and it was in the little chamber out in my yard where the water meter is. It was one of the fatter dark ones and I shooed it out without killing it. The week before I saw that big one in the water meter area, I killed a large black widow spider in the same area so it must be a favorite spider hang out in my yard.

Anyone got any tips on humidity and temp requirements for the wolfies in my area? I am assuming that since they live outside and inside my house then just keeping them with no special care, other than a little misting every now and then will be fine since they are native to my climate. How often will these little buggers eat? How often will they moult? Do they burrow? It seems like they wander alot so I assume they are not burrowers. Oh well, I guess I have rambled on enough in this post so I will get back to work. Any info anyone can provide will be appreciated.

Oh yeah, Pandinus, I originally started this thread in the Tarantula forum and a kind moderator moved it here for me!

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If they're not burrowing species, a nice plastic shoe box will suffice with hole punched on either side of the container itself, I usually use a ruler and space the ventilation holes an inch apart with an icepick. Makes for a really neat and orderly container. Or you can punch holes in the lid. If it is a burrowing species than you want a storage container of greater depth to allow the spider to make a burrow. Substrate of choice would be a brick of crushed coconut shells. These containers will maintain humidity all their own combined a heatpad set against the side or atop. If the heatpad dries the substrate, then liberally mist with a water bottle. These spiders will take food frequently and a large shallow bottle cap will act fine as a waterdish. Concerning their feeding habits, experiment because the Wolf Spider will simply ignore the crickets or kill it and eat very little usually means it's had enough feed for a few days or a week.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of my T slings didn't eat its dinner so I took the very small cricket and threw it in with the wolf spider and CHOMP!!! It didnt waste any time attacking the cricket and it ate it pretty fast too.....do these guys have better digestive fluids than a T??
The wolf spider is pretty fat now....I wonder how often this thing needs to eat??

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wolf Spiders are simply very aggressive and their predacious pounce is very impressive. Yes, I would feed the Wolf Spider frequently, 1-3 crickets a week depending on the individual's appetite. Removing any remains or live prey items afterwards.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
I caught one on my porch about a month ago!!! She is the darker colored one, and so cool!!

I love watching her run, or attack food! She will attack anything I put in there, w/ more agressiveness than most of my T's. She will almost roll over she attatcks the cricket so fast!!

If you even breathe near her, she basically teleports to the other side of the cage. Their speed is simply amazing!! I hope she lays a sac :) I will let her keep it. As last time I took a sac away from one, and she was dead the next day....I suppose she grieved her little self to death :(

BUT anyway, they are very cool to keep as pets, and I will keep her as long as I can :)

mactans

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am always elated when I find a Wolf Spider, there not as common here as some of the locales of the other board members. One of my favorite inverts, last one I had was a large Hogna ssp. used throw itself at the prey with the legs splayed back, very aggressive.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
came home from work tonight and was checking on all my bugs....
the little wolf spider has dug a little burrow and is sitting at the bottom of it with an eggsack!!!

i thought for sure this spider was a juvie.....
do these spiders mature at a very small size or did i perhaps catch some small species of wolf spider?

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i guess my wolf spider experiment will end this evening when i get off of work.....i surely do not want a wolf spider with a bunch of babies inside my house so i will take her and her eggsack and turn them loose in the back yard....

btw...i caught another wolf spider in the house Sunday morning....it was a pretty good size (at least 1" or a fraction larger) and was one of the darker ones and it was prety fat....if these spideys are females and they keep finding their way into my house, I wonder if they are gravid and looking for a place to hide and crawling up under the walls from the outside only to meet their fate at my hands inside!?!? just a guess since most of the ones i catch inside are the darker ones and the one darker one i caught dropped a sack a couple of days later...

I guess i will have to get the Cook's Pest Control guy to spray the outside perimeter of my house extra good this month because I dont like these spiders "suprising" me in my home on a regular basis....i have been catching at least 1 or 2 a week inside the house...dont get me wrong...they are interesting and they serve their purpose in the food chain but i feel more comfortable with them doing their thing outside my house....i prefer any spiders inside the house to be in a controled and captive environment like my T's...

Last edited:

boxy

Arachnopeon
They're great spiders, fearsome indeed. Has anyone seen a Wolf Spider with babies on her back? Or is it the male that carries them? I forget :confused:

That pic up there from this page.

They're the most visible spider around here under logs and rocks. I don't mess with them though, too quick, and those fangs look like they'd hurt! ;)

I've noticed a small red spot on the sides of their head... near the mouth. Does anyone know what this is?

Last edited:

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
boxy said:
They're great spiders, fearsome indeed. Has anyone seen a Wolf Spider with babies on her back? Or is it the male that carries them? I forget :confused:
Hey Boxy,

Actually, I had a female wolf spider a while back that I caught while she was carrying the eggsac. It finally hatched out and she carried them around on her back for about a week. This was a smaller species; no more than 3/4" as adult. The babies were TINY! Smaller than a pinhead. I ended up letting them all go not long after they dispersed.