More ID!

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
what about this one? i found it in sort of a funnel shaped web.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It is a Funnel Web Weaver (Agelenopsis sp). There are are several in my yard. Are you planning on keeping it?

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
depends, how do i care for it (IE setup)
i may not, just because there are so many around here. but what i really want is to catch a widow.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If they are that easily found, you could always introduce some of them to C. vittatus.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
carpe scorpio said:
If they are that easily found, you could always introduce some of them to C. vittatus.
you read my mind! still, i am afraid this guy may be too big for them.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I doubt it, my littlest vittatus would take spiders twice her size, it is an intrigueing thought though, because both the spiders and the C. vittatus are renewable in your locale. :}

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
pandinus said:
depends, how do i care for it (IE setup)
i may not, just because there are so many around here. but what i really want is to catch a widow.
To care for it you will need something with alot of floorspace. Put some substrate in and add several sticks,rocks etc for it to build the large sheet like web it will make. They can be interesting to watch. I feed the ones here in the yard grasshoppers and other small insects for entertainment. (I guess this shows I don't have much of a life {D )

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Brian S said:
It is a Funnel Web Weaver (Agelenopsis sp). There are are several in my yard. Are you planning on keeping it?
You're correct Brian! I had one a while back and kept it for a while. There are tons of them here where Im at, but they are interesting to watch. The web is NOT a funnel! LOL! You're right, its like a sheet and I fed mine pinheads. Soon as the lil crix touched that sheet, the spider was on it like a fat kid on cake.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I doubt its to obig I breed those spiders when their attacked the lay motionlist and hope for whatever has got them to let go.. otehrwise they basicly never bite.. but their pretty quick runners..

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sansoucie said:
You're correct Brian! I had one a while back and kept it for a while. There are tons of them here where Im at, but they are interesting to watch. The web is NOT a funnel! LOL! You're right, its like a sheet and I fed mine pinheads. Soon as the lil crix touched that sheet, the spider was on it like a fat kid on cake.
They get the name. Through their 'hole' that they hide in.. IE a funnel.. The funnel then turns out into the sheet they use to capture the prey..
Don't try and hosu that one it is either a mature male or nrealy mature one molt away.. it will msot likely die.. I've had one molt past maturity liek a tarantula it was horribly disfigured and totaly uncappable of creating their tell tale webs..