P.irminia question

sektone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey, my irminia is abotu 1.5 inches big , vry good eater and in great shape.
Just last night she made a web (bag like) in the top corner.. is this a habit they practise before molting or are just naturally known for their webs?

Zorack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my avic spun a hammok like web when he molted, so yes he could be

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't keep P irminia but I keep P cambridgei and it webs up everything.
I would like to start keeping this species they are beauties.
Is yours showing the adult colors yet?

mick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is normal behavior...at that size you'r lucky it didn,t make one about 1 inch off the ground and bury it.
Mick

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Suntigers...

I have 2 P. Irminia's and both of them like to incorporate webbing around cork bark or something similar. They will often make a tube web like this towards the top of their enclosure. Am trying to get some pix of mine but they hide when I approach. Beautiful species!

sektone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brian S said:
I don't keep P irminia but I keep P cambridgei and it webs up everything.
I would like to start keeping this species they are beauties.
Is yours showing the adult colors yet?

yes the rump has the beautiful black and orange colours. i woudl say the spider is about.. 1.5 inches.. well maybe just a lil over an inch. but it seems to be shoing a lot of its adult coloration.

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi,

I have an adult female, she lives (almost a year already) in L-shaped cork bark tube - longer half of the "L" is buried in substrate. I´ve never seen any webbing, except for sealing the ends of the tube while molting.

Spider is very secretive, only rarely travels throughout enclosure - no visible arboreal tendencies :)...usually leaves the tube only for quite a short time in the middle of night. the tube is very narrow (6cm?), but seems comfortable for the spider - molted succesfully 3 times in there..

AFAIK (and correct me if I´m wrong) in nature they in fact aren´t exactly arboreal, they live in hollows between tree roots, no more than half meter above ground...so maybe enclosures for them might be decorated differently than for Avicularia for example..

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Alias,
AFAIK (and correct me if I´m wrong) in nature they in fact aren´t exactly arboreal, they live in hollows between tree roots, no more than half meter above ground
P Irminia is often found along high road banks in Venezuela. They Burrow into these banks but also spin a tube like web outside of the burrow. Because their web is so thick and very noticable they cover the web with dirt so it is very hard to make out for predators! This is why they may go to gound when kept in captivity as the only place to burrow is on the ground!

Cheers
Brendan