Some M. tamulus

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some M. tamulus pics

Hi,

here are some Mesobuthus tamulus pics (or Hottentotta tamala, just for Eric ;) ). My second pair mated a few days ago directly after I put them together. It´s an incredible fast growing species. Some of my specimens reached maturity at the age of 5 - 6 months.

Greetings
Alex

Last edited:

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Great pictures. They do look like hottentotta i think

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very nice pics. I've always heard the common name of this species was the "Indian red scorpion" but it doesn't look at all red in the pictures, I guess its just a stupid common name, and 6 months that really is quick, whats the life expectancy?

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

the coloration is a reddish brown. They are looking indeed very similar to H. hottentotta (even the granulation on the carapace)except that they are a little bit more reddish. And the color of the telson is different. I have no idea about the life span. Most of my specimens are just adult by now.

Greetings
Alex

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nazgul said:
Hi,

the coloration is a reddish brown. They are looking indeed very similar to H. hottentotta (even the granulation on the carapace)except that they are a little bit more reddish. And the color of the telson is different. I have no idea about the life span. Most of my specimens are just adult by now.

Greetings
Alex
...and it's for this reason that the genus is uncertain, Hottentotta or Mesobuthus (...but since Lourenço said me that he's not agree with H.tamula of Kovarik, I say M.tamulus now dear Alex ;) )

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
By the way, wonderful pictures, congratulations Alex, hope there will be many babies soon ! :)
Greetings,
Eric

Tityus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Alex very nice pictures, please can you tell what you feeding the scorplings from day 1 to aldult age ?? All scorpions grow so fast there I think you using other food then I give ;)

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Considering this is a highly lethal species. does anyone have an LD50 figure of M. Tamulus:?

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ythier said:
...I say M.tamulus now dear Alex ;) )
Hi,

oh, I forgot you are being paid by Lourenco now, Eric :D. The couple on the photo is from the same litter as your specimens. Yours should be adult soon as well.

I´m feeding my scorpions the usual stuff, like roaches and crickets. I guess it depends on the daily temperatures. I´m keeping the M. tamulus at local temperatures of 30°C/95°F during the day.

Greetings
Alex

Last edited:

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

the LD50 value of M. tamulus is 1,3 - 2,2 mg/kg tested with subcutaneous injections in rats. The venom was more deadly when applied to adult rats than to young ones. But you should never forget that the effect on rats might be different to those on humans and that the venom might have bigger fatal effects if being injected to a human body than to a rodent. Here´s a link: http://www.indianpediatrics.net/may2000/may-504-514.htm

greetings
Alex

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Great link thanks:)
I also saw an Ld50 test once in rats where it said to be 0.14. usually the test are taken on mice right?

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nazgul said:
The couple on the photo is from the same litter as your specimens. Yours should be adult soon as well.
????????????? :eek:
...my specimens moulted only one time since you sent me :?
I always said you that you keep your scorpions in a oven... but now I'm sure ! ;)
Greetings,
Eric

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Alex, wonderful photos, I'm jealous. I wish this scorpion was being offered in America, I have wanted these for many years. The shot of the carapace is excellent, it really shows the hairiness of the pedipalps in this species. Looking at the chela, the illustration in Keegan's book must be a female. If India will export textiles, why not also export M. tamulus?, I'm sure there are enough people in India that could use jobs collecting scorpions. I look forward to more photos of this beautiful species in the future. :)

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ah, M.tamulus, I wish India would open it's borders for export of this species. There is vast interest and curiosity in it like those of the Tityus genus.

darrelldlc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I said it before and I'll say it again Gotta love those granulations. Beautiful scorpion.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Alex are you giving them hormones or something??? :?
only 5-6 months :eek:

I have room temps at 30 C since almost 2 months now and nothing unusual happened to the scorps (at the way they grow at least).

I hope my hottentotta f.g will reach adulthood by X-mas so we can mate them...

By the way, I also think that they look more like hottentotta rather than mesobuthus... (nothing similar to m.martensii and m.gibbosus)

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nazgul said:
...at local temperatures of 30°C/95°F during the day.
Hi,

I made a mistake, I wanted to say 35°C, the value in Fahrenheit is correct though. The dates of the molts (in my possession) of the specimens on the photo are 25.04., 10.05., 31.05., 03.07. for the female and 27.04., 20.05., 20.06., 22.07 for the male. They are cb 3/'04. I´ve got another pair cb 10/'03 and the dates of their last three molts are 26.03., 27.04., 22.05. for the female and 27.03., 27.04., 22.05. for the male. Here´s another picture of a male.

Greetings
Alex

Last edited: