crossbreeding poecilotheria

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know I'll get slamed for even asking this but what all poecilotheria species would naturally crossbreed in the wild? and are there any pictures of crosses between poecs. thanks in advane

averagebehr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
awhile back i found afew pokey cross breed pics im having trouble remebering where if your wanna crossbreed look at the the home ranges and see where they overlap those would be the types of pokies that you would have the most luck crossbreeding as well as the ones that naturally could crossbreed

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Crap, try searching poke hybrids...there was something posted about it, and a link to a site with some pics..the french GEA webstie thing..
T

Gir

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
RichardDegville said:
Hiya personally I think that most sp of Poecilotheria are mere variants of one sp the same as Aviculara in my opinion the whole genus needs a revision asap sadly like most of the geniuses! yes pokies will cross breed.
/Agree

If they can breed and produce fertile offspring, they should be treated more like subspecies.

stewartb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hiya personally I think that most sp of Poecilotheria are mere variants of one sp the same as Aviculara in my opinion the whole genus needs a revision asap sadly like most of the geniuses!
Interesting theory about Poec,s being varients.

Can I ask, what do you base this theory on? Also, which sp in particlar do you feel are "mere variets"?

Regards,

Stew.

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, Id be intersted in hearing which species are variants as well.....P. metallica, formosa and regalis are three species found in the same area. So which ones are the variants of other?? ;P

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't know their offspring could reproduce, that's interesting. I know tarantulas are NOT dogs and cats... but, no one throws a fit if you breed say, a beagle and boarder collie. I don't like nazi-esque anti-cross breeding propaganda, because hybrids are cool. :cool: lol Particularly if there's no noticable health effect on the offspring, although I've heard quite a bit about interbreeding T families and the offspring being weak/ etc, which is obviously not good for anyone.

I mean we often have more color variation in the same mammal species, I'm trying to think of another insect example of say, orange tabby and silver tabby, but I really can't think of one. :?

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
AFAIK the only Poke hybrids iv heard of being used in breeding were male P.fasciata x P.smithi mated back to P.smithi females and they were sterile i believe (if so that could be one of the many reasons there are so few I guess ppl wasted time mating young females in there prime with sterile males) even if they can cross breed if the young are sterile that would indicate a fair bit of separation as taken place, pic's of a hybrid ornata x fasciata >Here<

Edit pic links been posted 3 times now {D

Last edited:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
8leggedrobot said:
I mean we often have more color variation in the same mammal species, I'm trying to think of another insect example of say, orange tabby and silver tabby, but I really can't think of one. :?
There are many its one of the big problems with using colour to name species and even pattens can differ, very common in insects but also in spiders see >Pisaura mirabilis<

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer

8leggedrobot said:
I didn't know their offspring could reproduce, that's interesting. I know tarantulas are NOT dogs and cats... but, no one throws a fit if you breed say, a beagle and boarder collie. I don't like nazi-esque anti-cross breeding propaganda, because hybrids are cool. :cool: lol Particularly if there's no noticable health effect on the offspring, although I've heard quite a bit about interbreeding T families and the offspring being weak/ etc, which is obviously not good for anyone.

Oddly I like the hybrid thing, but for different reasons. I want to cross things and see if the results resemble so-called new species. As far as nazi-eque goes though, think about this : There are many species for which WC blood is very difficult to get, so hybridizing for kicks may pose serious risks down the road. My boehmi-smithi experiment hasnt borne fruit, but when it does the offspring will be limited to me and a couple responsible friends...
T

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
monantony said:
Oddly I like the hybrid thing, but for different reasons. I want to cross things and see if the results resemble so-called new species.
This is a good idea so long as the offspring are always kept safe and not let out of the bag so to speak, other then fertile hybrids being mated back to there parent species the other possible problem with hybrids is some clown finding a F1 hybrid to be fertile and mating them to third related species to make an F2 hybrid that could be passed off as a new species :(,

Clown “ah yes I had to smuggle this new spider out from x country as egg’s sac’s there customs nearly had me the air port and I had to fight a crocodile too :D so you know the price will be high but you do want in on them don’t you ;P ”

stewartb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hiya personally I think that most sp of Poecilotheria are mere variants of one sp the same as Aviculara in my opinion the whole genus needs a revision asap sadly like most of the geniuses!

Interesting theory about Poec,s being varients.

Can I ask, what do you base this theory on? Also, which sp in particlar do you feel are "mere variets"?

Regards,

Stew.
Hello Rich,

That is an interesting theory, that needs some kind of explaination.

Could you elaborate for the benefit of everyone?

Regards,

Stew.

Last edited:

phil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
stewartb said:
Hello Rich,

That is an interesting theory, that needs some kind of explaination.

Could you elaborate for the benefit of everyone?

Regards,

Stew.
Hi
I too would like to hear the reasoning behind this theory :confused:

Last edited:

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I for one am against such activity.

I think that it just muddies up the gene pool and adds even more confusion to the trade.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
crossbreeding pokies...

zombieagogo said:
I for one am against such activity.

I think that it just muddies up the gene pool and adds even more confusion to the trade.
Bingo... ain't worth it. Enjoy our pokies as they are. :)