Ground Coconut Fiber as a good Aracho medium, and usinng Jungle backgrounds

Orchidspider

Arachnopeon
I have been using ground cocnut fiber upon recomendation of Carolina Specialty Pets, and have found it very easy to use, nice looking, and holds it's shape for spiders who like to burrow. It is apparently not friendly to mites, which is great for more my more moisture loving T's such as my Camaroon Red Baboon,Haplopelmas and Theraposas. I also mix it in with sand for my scorpions. It comes in packs of 1 or 3 and you simply put the block in a container and soak with water, and the compressed block comes appart easily, for ready use. I store it in small garbage bags. With the addition of small pieces of cypruss mulch, I have been able to create a nice looking jungle floor look.

I also have used small shreded pieces of rotting leaves that have been allowed to dry out some what, and have been checked over for unwanted guests, to create a jungle floor look as well. I also got about 6' of jungle photographic plastic background material, that I tape on the back of my critter keeper cages. The scorps and t's dont really care about what it looks like, but it does add privacy. The same company also makes nice rocky and desert versions. I figure the more attractive the cage looks to the human eye, and with nice carefull labeling, the less offensive the animal will come accross to those that might not have taken a respectful view on these fascinating animals. I just like how it looks, but my non arachno hobbyist friends seem to be less taken a-back when they see a nice presentation.

For water cups, I have found that common disposable plastic drinking cups when cut down to a nice size, provide inoffensive looking water dishes, when half filled with large gravel.

I am planning on getting a space heater for my closet where I keep my arachids, because my orchids- which live in my dinning area in my apt here in Charlotte, do like temperatures down around 65 degrees F, during the day, and lower at night. I have gotten used to this, but as you can guess, my t's are not happy. I have used heat matts, but am thinking about a small space heater. Any ideas?

Hope this information is helpfull to you all. Thanks. Alex

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Agreed, bed-a-beast seems to hold water extremely well and I have yet to see any mold.