Legality of KEEPING T's

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know that it is illegal to sell tarantulas and scorps in Ct, but where can I find out if it is or isnt naughty to actually own them. I have randomly searched the internet, but havent found anything at all about this state. Can someone supply a link that might prove useful?? :?

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Never thought I would say this .. but .. its SOUTH.. of you at least.. Connecticut, New England, good ole US of A !!

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why is it illegal to see t's in Ct, and not the rest of the states?

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Being that I didnt make the law in question, I have no idea. I just have to try to abide by it. I dont BUY t's in Ct.. I have to go elsewhere, my real question here is where I can find out is if its illegal to own or not. The only people who can answer the why questions are the ones who wrote the bill.. and Im not one of them..I would love to give them a few kicks maybe.. ..

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First, I would try to contact the CT department of wildlife/conservation. They may be able to tell you why they are illegal to sell. More than likely they have no idea either but they should be able to put you on the right track.

Raindog

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Screw'em what are they going to do, bust down your door and take you to jail for having a spider in your house? Oh yeah, I forgot about the patriot act. Maybe you should research it further, Saddam might have hidden all those WMD's in cb Ts. One question, did your breeder smoke strange cigarettes or wear a top hat?

Was this the guy? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/raindog314159/Penguin1.jpg

Last edited:

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
why do you have to abide by that law? was it thomas paine or thomas jefferson that said if a law is unjust than it is your duty to break it?

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am from Rhode Island and used to work in a petstore. We bought alot of our animals from a dealer in CT. We could buy tarantulas from them but only if the actual transaction took place in RI for this reason. If I decided to take advantage of their customer pick up policy (where you would get an additional discount on top of their regular wholesale prices) I could not buy tarantulas. My sales rep told me that you could own them in CT...just couldn't buy them there (though he never got into the actual reasonings behind it). It certainly is a strange law in my opinion considering the cold winter months that no escapee tarantula could ever hope to survive! :?

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bugguy1 said:
I am from Rhode Island and used to work in a petstore. We bought alot of our animals from a dealer in CT. We could buy tarantulas from them but only if the actual transaction took place in RI for this reason. If I decided to take advantage of their customer pick up policy (where you would get an additional discount on top of their regular wholesale prices) I could not buy tarantulas. My sales rep told me that you could own them in CT...just couldn't buy them there (though he never got into the actual reasonings behind it). It certainly is a strange law in my opinion considering the cold winter months that no escapee tarantula could ever hope to survive! :?
And somepeople think that Newfoundland id backwards.

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
bugguy1 said:
My sales rep told me that you could own them in CT...just couldn't buy them there (though he never got into the actual reasonings behind it). QUOTE]

Thank you for the answer.. THIS is what I was looking for.. well at least its a good starting block, and now I at least know what is what. To the other comments.. considering that I have more than 20 T's, its plainly obvious that I have not so much respect for this law in particular. I cant imagine that my home is going to get raided by the Tarantula Police, although this is a pretty quiet area, and the local law enforcement might get bored...