Some of My Frogs

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ive recently started keeping frogs. Im too tired to post any other stuff about them but here are a few pictures. :cool:

1. Albino Bullfrog
2. Pixie Bullfrog (The real one, not the dwarf)
3. Pacman Variety
4. Pacman Variety "Red"
5. Green Mantella

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
1. Red Eye Tree Frog (Its about 1")
2. Painted Chubby Frog (Kaloula pulchra)
3. Western Green Toad
4. Spadefoot Toad

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
WOW, I had no idea all of those frogs existed. Very nice collection you have. How long do frogs generally live? Enjoyed your pics very much.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can never watch enough pics of the Red eyed Tree Frog.....please more pics and info :D

Highlander

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
spidergoddess said:
WOW, I had no idea all of those frogs existed. Very nice collection you have. How long do frogs generally live? Enjoyed your pics very much.
And there are a ton of more species too.Frogs can have a pretty good sized range on their life span.Some only live a few years while others can live for more than a decade.Also very nice Scorpio.I have always really liked frogs(and all herps for that matter).Sadly I havn't kept any in a while(though in october I should be getting my Tomato frog).

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I believe all but the Bullfrogs, Red Eye and Pacmans are wild caught.

Thanks for all the comments. I have a bunch of frogs living in a communal 29 gallon, with exception of the bullfrogs and pacmans and the really small frogs such as the red eye and the mantella (Ive caught them trying to eat eachother).

I also have a Scaphiophryne species but hes burrowed somewhere and I dont want to disturb him.

Theres more to come in October when I will be doing a big order with frogs and some other stuff (Green Tree Python, Tokays, C.A. redtail, crested geckos and probably a european legless lizard). Im saving up for that since it will cost me several hundred for those :8o

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
I love the red-eyed-tree-frog. Theyre my favorite frog. I have a wall of calendar pics and posters dedicated to them! :D

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here are three more I didnt have a chance to photograph earlier.

CIRE

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How do you keep your Red-Eyed Tree frog? (setup, substrate, water-setup etc...) - do you have any pics of its enclosure?

Thanks!

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Its kept in a small 2.5 gallon as it is only a baby, and has peat and sphagnum as substrate.

It doesnt have a water dish, but is misted generously.

CIRE

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So what would you recommend as the best "beginner" arboreal frog? (are red-eyes too hard to care for to be considered one of them?)

Thanks

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I started with the painted chubby frog (Kaloula pulchra). They are very affordable and are found in most pet stores and have a lot of other advantages. Mine lived over 1 year until i was away and the person taking care of it forgot to mist it.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
scorpio said:
Its kept in a small 2.5 gallon as it is only a baby, and has peat and sphagnum as substrate.

It doesnt have a water dish, but is misted generously.
How big do they get?, how long do they live?, are they hardy?, easy to find? Do they reproduce in captivity? Any more pics of it??

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
genious_gr said:
How big do they get?, how long do they live?, are they hardy?, easy to find? Do they reproduce in captivity? Any more pics of it??

They get to about 2-2 3/4 inches, living in the very least about 4 years. They do reproduce in captivity although I have never attempted it. Mine is a CBB baby and its only about 1". Theyre available as WC adults in most USA petstores but run about 45-60 dollars each. I got my baby for $12.

I will post more pics eventually.

monkeyman13

Arachnopeon
those are sweet i have a pacman myself. and i havent had very good luck with baby frogs under 1 inch as they do not eat well. what camera did you use to take those pictures? my digital is a piece of crap and cant zoom

theninegates

Arachnopeon
Great pics of a very cool collections. I'm diggin on that red-eyed tree frog.

They all look really healthy too, although I have no serious experience with keeping them.

Thumbs up ......very nice.

monkeyman13

Arachnopeon
REALLY? thats hilarious i know somebody that had one that i threw against a wall and it didnt break those things are indestructable