New G. rosea and questions

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Went to a pet store today, and they had a G. rosea that a customer had brought in because they couldn't keep it any longer. The regular tarantula person wasn't there, he had just left for the day, but we took it anyways, as we were worried about the conditions. The habitat (which came with it) looks as though it has NEVER been cleaned out in the T's entire life, it really is disgusting, and there was no water dish in the habitat at all. I know rosea's are desert species, but they do need water do they not? Anyways, we were going to change the substate in the next day or two once it settles down, but in it are these two white webbed balls attached to the rock in there, what the heck is it? Old food webbed up? They are about 1" x 2". Also, I think the rosea is a female, but thought I would ask to be on the safe side, so here are all of the pictures.

Attachments

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I cant really look at it but it looks like a female. You said that there wasnt any water dish so i am guessing you bought it from creatures?

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im preaty sure thats a female but i could be wrong but im not sure what those are. could be old food balls but thats really big for one. old web maybe.

pokiecollector

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
looks like a female to be, but the only way to be sure is to sex the molt. nice spider

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No, I got it from Safari, but it wasn't actually a T that they had planned on having in the store, it was brought in by a customer. I know they keep their own T's well looked after, and they do know the complete history on her, but I have to call back and get that info., which won't be intil Saturday.

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
usumbaraboy said:
im preaty sure thats a female but i could be wrong but im not sure what those are. could be old food balls but thats really big for one. old web maybe.
Ya, food balls I have seen are always quite small, these are large, and both are the same shape. Do T's usually put old webbing in balls like that? I've never seen it before :?

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
firefox2 said:
No, I got it from Safari, but it wasn't actually a T that they had planned on having in the store, it was brought in by a customer. I know they keep their own T's well looked after, and they do know the complete history on her, but I have to call back and get that info., which won't be intil Saturday.
Oh i see...yeah they are usually pretty good taking care of their animals..

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd change the substrate as soon as possible if I where you. I don't know what those balls are but they look like they could be moldy.

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Webbed up pieces of paper towelling? Perhaps they thought wet paper towels provided sufficient water for the T? Lucky spider, finding a new home with you. :)

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just a guess here, but could those balls be old egg sacks that went bad???

Renee

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"FireFox2" congrates on the new spider. roseys and one of my fav, and that is a nice one you have there. I would say that it is a female because of the fold between the book lungs. I have a buddy that lives in Victora, his name is Travis S and he is a murine. Good luck with your new spider.

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
spidergoddess said:
Webbed up pieces of paper towelling? Perhaps they thought wet paper towels provided sufficient water for the T? Lucky spider, finding a new home with you. :)
Hmmm, never thought of that, maybe that is what it is, there is webbing on them though, so not sure. Guess I'll chance the substrate after dinner, give the habitat a good cleaning, and take these things out and see what they are.

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok, now after the paper towel idea, looking at them again, I am thinking maybe cotton balls? Do people sometimes use them for moisture?

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
"FireFox2" congrates on the new spider. roseys and one of my fav, and that is a nice one you have there. I would say that it is a female because of the fold between the book lungs. I have a buddy that lives in Victora, his name is Travis S and he is a murine. Good luck with your new spider.
Thanks. :)
Is your buddy a T person too?

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Spydra said:
Just a guess here, but could those balls be old egg sacks that went bad???

Renee
I don't know, not even sure what an egg sac would look like if it was left as long as these things were. I don't know if someone would go through the trouble of breeding her, and just leaving the sacs in there anyways.

I moved them out of there, they are spongy, webbed on the outside, gonna look inside later, but am now thinking they are cotton balls webbed up because when I peel the webbing off, they look like cotton underneath.

firefox2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK, I cleaned out her habitat, and OMG, it was so disgusting, I think she is a much happier T now. Anyways, those white webbed up things were indeed cotton balls, they were disgustingly filthy most of the way through, and if they were used for a water source, I wouldn't be surprised if it has been a couple of months since she saw water :(
Poor baby, she was so neglected. I think she will be more comfortable now :)