Arboreal happiness?

Cuttlefish

Arachnopeon
Has anyone out there ever tried to get an arboreal species to use a toilet paper roll (or something similar) as a house?
I have a book with a picture of a Pinktoe inside a curled banana leaf, and I'm wondering if mine would like something similar...

Thanks for any help,
Tamara.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey,
I think a pinktoe would like such a hiding place, but a toilet paper roll would get very soggy due to the high humidity. the photo is of a pinktoe I saw in the wild (surinam), and it had built its retreat in a plant (also like a tube)
greetz,
Joost

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They do like tubes...to avoid the problems Joost mentioned, platic pvc pipe could be used instead. I use two pieces of cork bark aranged so the concave sides face each other creating a space between.

wade

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Joost is right on the money. In the humidity that an avicularia needs, a cardboard tube would quickly turn into a soggy, moldy mess. I would go with Wade's suggestion of using either pvc pipe or cork bark. You can find corkbark tubes that would be perfect for an avicularia.

Scott

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Just so happens I've got some PVC piping in the garage right now. I'll cut some for her this afternoon.

Cheers,
Dave