About my scorps

Arachnid Hank

Arachnopeon
I got my two hadrurus arisonzensis (my two first scorps ever never had scorps before) yesterday. Now here's the problem: i feeded them both with 2 crickets before inserting them in the tank( feeding them much should stop cannibalism.

They started of good by staying one each side of the tank. But as soon as they got close to each other and noticed one another, they started to fight like crasy!!!! I think i seperated about 5-6 fights in total before i decided that i would seperate them for the time bieng .But they didn't manage to harm one another so that was a great relief though. Should i keep them seperated for good??

Could it bee that i have got two extremely territorial males that can't stand each other at all? both had a cricket in their mouth when they went in and could it be that both were protecting the food they had taken as their own?
I need some answers here and would be very , very happy if you could help me out!

And here's another question: Could you give me a good link to good heatmats, thermostat/ thermometer stuff? I got a heatmat from the store i bought them in , but the problem is that it is a heatpad that dosen't cause any significant heat raising, only warming up the scorps from the inside.. one of the scorps seem to like it though :) . But i need a greater pad as the heat inside is on 25 celsius and it should be on 30-35, or so iv'e read :rolleyes:

scavenger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I could be wrong but I have some hadrurus arisonzensis and have Never been brave enouph to put them together because they are very cannibalistic... one will kill the other if they are housed together.

Arachnid Hank

Arachnopeon
I know , but some in this forums have them together without any problems.. Wondered how they have done to succeed just that :confused:

davus

Arachnopeon
id be interested in the answer to the heatmat question as i doubt my heat mat on my newly set up tank will increase the temp to 90 for my forest scorp that arrives on thursday :?

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
are you sure it was a fight?
if they are of the opposite sex and mature, they were probably trying to mate.'
The mating ritual is quite similar to a fight

Arachnid Hank

Arachnopeon
vardoulas said:
are you sure it was a fight?
if they are of the opposite sex and mature, they were probably trying to mate.'
The mating ritual is quite similar to a fight
If trying to stab each other with the telson and wrestling, roling around on the ground is a part of the mating, then i could vouch for it {D

But seriously i don't know :(

Arachnid Hank

Arachnopeon
And Carpe (or anybody), is there some ways to control the heat by a switch or so? attached to the heatpad in some kinda way :confused:

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hank: Do you you use anything behind the heatpad? So that the heat isn't just going in every direction but just into the tank. Like some rubbermat or some foam-thingy :)

Arachnid Hank

Arachnopeon
yeah, an substitute towel for the moment though,but im going to get an rubber mat. But how do you control the heat? is there any like, switch or so, that can be used to decide the heat to more wished effect?

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heat mats are not a very effective way of heating an enclosure. They are used really for suplemental heat, usually with creatures that nead to come into direct contact with the warm surface such a some snakes and lizards. Thermostats ar available for the heatmats, I have a specially designed one called a mat stat, but if you are using the mat on its own, on a side wall of the cage a thermostat won't be needed. Place a sheet of polystyrene to insulate the back of the mat so all the heat comes from the front surface.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmm, ive managed temps of 35 degrees C with a heat mat, i think theyre wicked, i wouldnt trust a bulb EVER :0

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
George Carnell said:
hmm, ive managed temps of 35 degrees C with a heat mat, i think theyre wicked, i wouldnt trust a bulb EVER :0
My feelings exactly, plus I've never needed any type of thermostat. I was originally motivated by fire safety, but have stayed exclusively with the pads just due to the high efficiency and effectiveness of them. :)

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I too think heat mats are the best form of heating, I always use the mat sat thermostats with them, but yeah they probably are unessesary.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Heat mats are a waste of money...the only one I ever had cost $30 USD and burt out in just over 3 months causing the plastic coating to become blackened..

Put a 25W buld in a reflector lamp on a lamp timer and save yourself $25

John

];')

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kugellager said:
Heat mats are a waste of money...the only one I ever had cost $30 USD and burt out in just over 3 months causing the plastic coating to become blackened..

Put a 25W buld in a reflector lamp on a lamp timer and save yourself $25

John

];')
May I ask what brand and size that the heater was?. Also, I run 5 of the 8 watt(zoomed) heaters and that's only 40 watts, if somebody has only a few enclosures running 25 watt bulbs that starts to really add to the electric bill, doesn't it?.http://arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=28381&highlight=heat+reliability

Last edited:

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I don't know the brand. It was designed for pets. It was about 3 1/2 years ago and I disposed of it then. I decided then and there it was not worth it. It was a smaller one about 4x8 inches in size...just a guesstimate...I suspected a short at the time. Luckily it was on metal shelving and under the glass of a tank.

Like I have stated many time before. I heat my entire bug closet with a 75w and 60W lamp in the summer when needed and add an extra 75w reflector lamp in the winter. You can easily keep a 5 gallon tank in the low-mid 80's F with a 25w lamp and do very well in a 10 gfallon if you close off part of the lid. I did this until I bought my house and had a nice deep closet to convert...photos of which are in the enclosure thread I believe...

John
];')

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are small heat pads safe to use with kritter keepers? If not.. what can you use to heat a smaller enclosure like that?

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fergrim said:
Are small heat pads safe to use with kritter keepers? If not.. what can you use to heat a smaller enclosure like that?
According to zoomed, they are not to be used on plastic.