Forceps question

Xanzo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just bought 2 pairs of 6" forceps. Do you think these will be sufficient for my feeding needs? or should I go for longer ones?

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just pick up crickets and mealworms with my hands, and then throw them in the tank next to the spider. I don't have any arboreals so i cant speek for them. If i had the forceps, i would use them for cleaning purpuses, or moveing suff in an angry spider cage.

I forgot to add that i would have bought the 9" ones.

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nothing special for my arboreals. The crickets either climb up the decor or the T comes down to hunt them at night.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Xanzo said:
I just bought 2 pairs of 6" forceps. Do you think these will be sufficient for my feeding needs? or should I go for longer ones?

I think it depends on the species and size of the T you are maintenancing.
For slings and small juvies, they should be just fine. For larger juvies and adults, particularly an arboreal, you will hopefully not discover the hard way that 6" forceps wouldn't be so much as an obstacle. If you're dealing with old world specimens, I would definitely reccommend longer forceps. 16" forceps are not an uncommonly used tool in this hobby. Of course, I have heard a few stories of even those being quickly scaled by certain individual T's. :}

Hope that helps some.

Atrax

Xanzo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So basically use them at my own risk, alright, the spider in question is 1.75 inches or so, and, being bitten doesn't particularly bother me, I just worry about escape.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Xanzo said:
So basically use them at my own risk, alright, the spider in question is 1.75 inches or so, and, being bitten doesn't particularly bother me, I just worry about escape.
Ah. :} I don't think you have much to worry about then. The ones you have should be just fine, at least for a while.

Take care.

Atrax

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Where can you get the 16 inch forceps?
Well, there are a couple local herp/exotics shops locally here that have them in all shapes and sizes but they seem a little pricey. Michael Jacobi also has them (well, 15" ones anyway) and for a much better price in this ad...here

Hope that helps.

Atrax

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you very much sir :) I have been wanting to invest in a set of long forceps.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tools of the trade...

Atrax said:
I think it depends on the species and size of the T you are maintenancing.
For slings and small juvies, they should be just fine. For larger juvies and adults, particularly an arboreal, you will hopefully not discover the hard way that 6" forceps wouldn't be so much as an obstacle. If you're dealing with old world specimens, I would definitely reccommend longer forceps. 16" forceps are not an uncommonly used tool in this hobby. Of course, I have heard a few stories of even those being quickly scaled by certain individual T's. :}

Hope that helps some.

Atrax
I agree with Atrax. Your 6" foreceps are ok for smaller T's, but I would get at least 12" or 16" foreceps to deal with the bigger beasts.

Yog-Sothoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use 12", make sure and put aquarium air tubing on the ends to protect against the T striking and snapping a fang.

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use a pair of 15'' forcep for dealing with my centipedes and and my H.mac and I love them, there great

S_Hourglass

Arachnopeon
none of my species are aggressive enough for me to need long forceps, personally, so my 7" forceps work just fine.

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

a question, because I don't know this special names... what exactly is an forceps? :confused:

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
LOL,

got it! It's a tweazers, right? And I thinked it is some kind of cricket... sorry! {D

DracosBana

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep, big tweezers. And hemostats are those scissor looking things that can be locked (used to clamp blood vessells during surgery)