omg.. obt fell ... !!

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well i'velong heardthat terrestrial species of T will probably if they were to fall and hit the floor.. just now my obt fell while cleaning its tank.. it ran damn fast up to my shoulder (i was sitting on the floor) and fell straight to the ground.. do u guys think anything would happen to it ? i dont wanna lose it, he's my first T.. it's not kinda responding to touches now. . .

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is the spider "leaking" fluid anywhere? if so then there is a huge risk. is it on it's back or is it just sitting there. Poking an OBT to see if it moves is not reccomended, as you have like a 90% chance of being bit. spiders will "pet rock" if they percieve a threat and don't think they can run from it. hence they will appear dead. or it is pooissible that the t is sitting still cause it is is some amount of pain.

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
there's currently no fluid coming leaking out.. its just sitting there doing nothing.. perhaps its in pain as u said.. is there anything i can do to help it ? hope it wont die.. hmm .. btw my obt hasnt bit me before, i've handled my obt for half a year by now. . .

by the way, if they have hooks on thir pedipalps, does that mean that they've matured ?

and i bought a book just now, i realised p. spinifier and p. murinus are almos exactly the same, how do i know which is mine ? whats the difference ?

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hooks dont form on pendipalps they can be found on the first pair of legs. the hooks will appear about half way down the legs on the underside. the pendilaps are the "stubby" legs near the fangs. these will get very bulbous and look like boxing gloves.

heres a pic that might help. it's my A. avic that matured, you cant really see the hooks but you can see the bulbous palps.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i once dropped a full grown G. rosea from about waist height onto a hard linoleum floor.....it landed flat on it's back with a good splat/thump sound......it hurt one joint of a leg that bled a very little for a little bit and the spider was holding that leg up......after a little while, the bugger was good to go like nothing happened though.....i guess i got lucky....and i chose to stop handling any of my spiders so much, if ever...

i still dont hold my OBT even though it is still a sling (about 2" before the moult a few days ago....dont know how big it is now)...it doesnt seem to be the psyhco i hear they are but im not willing to push it to find out....

my A. versicolor ran out on to my arm once and then jumped off...thankfully it must have known what it was doing because it landed ok nearby and i recaptured it and havent let it out or held it since....

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ouch!!!! that must have hurt alot....how is ur OBT now...keep us posted...

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
he's back to normal now... by the way.. i havent got a reply on how do i differentiate a pterinochilus sp. and a pterinochilus spinifier .. ?

maxwellxxv

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I dont hold any of my T's. so i wont drop them or get bit.I just consider them fish out of water..

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Randychuah said:
i havent got a reply on how do i differentiate a pterinochilus sp. and a pterinochilus spinifier .. ?
P. spinifer was changed to Eucratoscelus constrictus. The "P. spinifer" I've seen for sale are most likely P. murinus. E. constrictus is a dark brown/black tarantula. www.birdspiders.com has pictures of both species so you can compare.