Top ten T zoos

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As you all know, zoos cater to mammals and birds, and to a lesser degree other vertebrates such as reptiles, amphibians, and fishes. Since we have world wide collective intelligence on this message board, I was wondering if we could compile a top ten list of zoos that have T displays.

The best I have ever seen is the Insectarium de Montreal, mostly insects, but millipedes, centipedes, true spiders, and tarantulas too.

The Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa, Florida (USA) has a goliath bird eater, a communal tank with Avicularia avicularia , and some large huntsmen spiders in their discovery center.

What zoos, aquariums, or insectariums have you been to that have T displays?

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, i can tell you two that don't have good invert displays. Bristol zoo, and more suprisingly London zoo are awful when it comes to inverts. I was really suprised at London Zoo, its meant to be one of the best in the world, but the invert collection the last time i went there was pitiful.

i've heard lots of good things about Insectarium de Montreal, id definitely like to go one day.

Cheers,

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
the Metro Toronto Zoo has a pretty good selection on Tarantulas and other Inverts, even with some sections closed off (ones that had scorpions and tarantulas in them)

I didn't think the insectarium was impressive AT ALL, there were maybe 8 tarantulas there, and few other LIVE insects.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wish there was a Invert Zoo to go to somewhere. I know this just wishful thinking but it would be cool to be able to see some of the world's exotic inverts under one roof.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Kansas State University Butterfly Consrvatory and Insect Zoo. They have a number of tarantulas on display (can't remember the exact count). They also have stick insects, mantids, many different species of beetles, and other inverts. Excellent display. As for regular zoos, I'm not sure. I've never been to a zoo that did have a good invert display.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Phaedrus said:
The Kansas State University Butterfly Consrvatory and Insect Zoo. They have a number of tarantulas on display (can't remember the exact count). They also have stick insects, mantids, many different species of beetles, and other inverts. Excellent display. As for regular zoos, I'm not sure. I've never been to a zoo that did have a good invert display.
Are these live or preserved specimens?

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Brian S said:
I wish there was a Invert Zoo to go to somewhere. I know this just wishful thinking but it would be cool to be able to see some of the world's exotic inverts under one roof.
Brian,

I don't know where in MO you're from but I once went to a really nice butterfly garden in Branson, MO...it was the best butterfly garden I've ever been to...however no Ts.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
moricollins said:
the Metro Toronto Zoo has a pretty good selection on Tarantulas and other Inverts, even with some sections closed off (ones that had scorpions and tarantulas in them)

I didn't think the insectarium was impressive AT ALL, there were maybe 8 tarantulas there, and few other LIVE insects.
Are you refering to the insectarium within the Toronto zoo?

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The Montreal Insectarium is quite good, has a great variety and many live displays of various inverts. Not too many Ts on my last visit (I have more, lol) but still have a few interesting species and nice setups.

Pixie

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Professor T said:
Brian,

I don't know where in MO you're from but I once went to a really nice butterfly garden in Branson, MO...it was the best butterfly garden I've ever been to...however no Ts.
Professor,
I am only about 35-40 miles from Branson. I have never heard of it before. Do you remember the name of it and where it is?

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Phaedrus said:
Is the KSU Butterfly Conservatory and Insect Zoo located on university grounds in Manhattan? This is exactly the kind of hidden treasure I was looking for...next time I'm in Kansas City, I'll make that drive. Any information on cost or hours? A website link?

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Professor,
I am only about 35-40 miles from Branson. I have never heard of it before. Do you remember the name of it and where it is?
Its called The Butterfly Place. Its a large butterfly farm containing about 2,000 live butterflies.I can't remember the name of the street in Branson its on, but its centrally located, Phone 417-332-2231.

The butterflies land on you, it is soooo cool.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Phaedrus said:
If I remember correctly all are alive. I don't remember seeing any preserved specimens anyway.

Here's a link to the site:

http://www.ksu.edu/butterfly/

Phaedrus,

Thanks for the link, KSU has more species of Ts than the Insectarium de Montreal. Kansas State has made the top ten list and is in my future travel plans.

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, the Staten Island Zoo has an invert collection, but it's presently not on display, or only partially. They've redesigned and constructed a new invert enclosure. It should be nice though, once they open it. I've donated a few specimens to them. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

sektone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the metro toronto zoo doesnt have the best invert selection either..
they have

P.regalis
P.irminia
L.Parahybana
C.cyanpubescens

and i think thats that ...

but the zoo overall is a great place..

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The San Francisco Zoo had a fair amount when I went several years ago. Another place here, the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park, also had a fair share. They are the only completely indoor facility I know around here with alligators, sharks, dolphins, penguins, TONS of fish, TONS of herps and much, much more. Their shark rotunda is way awesome.

Xanzo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The most impressive T at the Woodland Park zoo in Seattle was a fully grown T. blondi.