Pinhead crickets:How do you feed them?

btorgy

Arachnopeon
Well, I successfully hatched out a few hundred pinhead crickets, for my three little s'lings! They are growing well, but the biggest problem I have is how to give just a few at a time to the s'lings? I try tapping the piece of egg carton to leave just a few, but I inevitably dump in way too many crickets in the s'lings container. Then I have to secure the s'ling in its hide (a one inch clay pot) and dump out the crickets! I just don't want the little s'lings to get stressed out with too many crickets!
Also, how much humidity for my Grammostola aureostriata s'ling? If too wet it climbs to the top of its container, but I am concerned to let it get too dry!
I also have 1 Acantoscurria geniculata, and a Brachypelma vagan s'ling, along with my lovely A. versicolor, C. fasciatum (who has been in hiding for the past three weeks!), and Brachypelma emelia.
They're growing on me!
Beth

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get a sandwich baggie and dump your crickets into it.
You can then tilt the baggie on a horizontal and control the flow of baby crickets coming out of the baggie using your fingertips.

This technique works great for us.

You should be more concerned with getting your aureostriata's tank to wet, as substrate that is too damp can cause problems, i.e; mold, fungus, fostering parasitic growth, than opposed to dry substrate.
As long as your tarantula has access to a water source, dry substrate poses no threat.

CIRE

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I usually try to gather the pinhead crickets with a small vial of some sort (that is if you can get your hand in the container they are in)...if not, sometimes you can just use some tweezers or something to grab them...they will probably be injured, but your Ts won't mind...just as long as they can find them...

As far as the humidity for the G. aureostriata...do not let it go below 60% or so...but I find that my sling is doing okay somewhat drier...but see what it likes better...my little guy actually made a nice little burrow/cave (it really looks like a cave...I have no idea how he did it...he's so small!!!!) ...so they sometimes adapt to what they are given...(ie: more humidity in its cave than outside of it...so it can choose where it wants to be)

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i got a little B. vagans sling in the mail today and i fed it 4 pinheads, it gobbled them up in no time, then 4 more...i figure 8 is enough (no pun intended LOL)

bamaspiderman

Arachnopeon
I tap a bunch of them from the egg crate into a small vial. I cut a small hole in the cap and snap in on. You can then shake them out 1 or 2 at a time.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello again Beth :)
When I feed the real tiny pinheads, I put them in a small vial and gently tap the vial to let a few of them drop in the slings enclosure. You can't give a sling too many unless it is preparing to molt. In saying that I still wouldn't want to dump a large amount of 'em in there at once. If you can get maybe 3-5 in there you should be ok depending on the size of sling copared to the size of the cricket.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
My version would be, put a small vial/bottle inside the pinhead enclosure, and shake one of the egg cartons on top. Then I divide the "catch" into the right numbers among other vials if needed. If I need a smaller catch, I shake less.

What's the size of your Chaco sling? I can assure you, I've been keeping mine since they were 0.75" slings, past their 1st molt in my care, I only mist the sides once per week... or maybe biweekly. They live on dry peat, and the humidity is mostly 40-50%. In about 5 month's time, the biggest among them is now 2.75"-3"...

btorgy

Arachnopeon
My little Chaco

My little Chaco s'ling is less than 1 inch. He has been an aggressive feeder until yesterday, so maybe he is getting ready to molt. He and the B. vagans have made tunnels in their containers. Can't wait for them to molt and begin to look more like what their species is! The A. geniculata is larger, just over 1 inch, and you can see his white knees and some of his color. He is a really good eater!!
I've tried the bag trick with the pinheads. It was okay, but I think I'll try the vial trick next.
Thanks to all!
Beth