Scorps which sting prey

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, I just joined the forum and I'm about to get a scorpion, actually probably two...so I just want to know which ones sting prey because that seems very exciting rather than just killing crickets with their claws, I mean its still cool but a sting here and there seems more fun. Anyway I just have a list of scorpions that I want to get: Scorpio maurus(pretty sure they dont sting but Im definately getting one) so since Im getting one already that doesnt sting I want the other one to be one that strings its prey, anyway on with the list: Anuroctonus phaiodactylus, Centruroides gracilis, Buthus occitanus, Hadrurus arizonensis, and if none of those use their stinger, can someone recommend me a scorp that does, C.Vittatus does I believe, so I might get that but I just want to make sure if the others I listed sting as well and if they are better pets for a beginner...also I hear Hadrurus arizonensis is very active so I would want an active one that stings as well :)

regards
-azz

Runaway987

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You want Carpe Scorpio or Skin head dave for this, they are the resident scorpion experts, kuggellar as well???

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
several of the scorps you mention use their stinger to subdue prey but the best for a beginner would be Hadrurus. Pretty aggressive and will usually chase a cricket around and sting it. Buthus occitanus is also a good choice, the European forms have milder venom but do the same job.

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmm also I hear scorpio maurus has a very short life span, about how long? I really wish they lived longer, they are so cool!

Also I'd like to add Tityus forcipula (ecuador) to the list, that one I'm really considering...

Last edited:

TresScorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You Should start out with Hadrurus arizonensis's or Hadrurus spadix , i have a wall dedecated to just them , with about 8 tanks , very fun to feed them all at once and watch all 14 of the hadrurus desert speices attack there prey .. Its even cooler when i turn on the 2 blacklight strips .. {D

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
heh I see, ya I heard a lot of great stuff about Hadrurus arizonensis's....but in order of what I actually want would probably be: scorpio maurus, Tityus forcipula (ecuador), Hadrurus arizonensis...I don't know much about Anuroctonus phaiodactylus...

Of course if the life span of scorpio maurus is very extremely low(which is what I hear, and I'll like it confirmed with one of the scorp experts :) ) then I will probably reconsider and get Tityus forcipula and Hadrurus arizonensis...BUT I would also like to know the life span of Anuroctonus phaiodactylus and if its highly venomous...because that one sort of resembles scorpio maurus and I would probably switch those two in my order of what I want, because...I really like the way that scorpio maurus looks, especially here:

http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/s_maurus.php

nice looking lil guy, he has big claws, but not too big, nice lil tail and seems like just a fun lil guy :)

I'd have to say my all time favorite scorp would have to be Androctonus bicolor, too venomous for a beginner though I guess...so I'll stick to the less venomous ones for now :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All of the Hadrurus species have long life spans. They are active (as far as scorpions go). They are known to sting prey. They grow to a decent size of 4 inches +. The S mauris is a smaller species of 2 inches (someone correct me if I am wrong).
I would say your best to start out with either H arizonesis or H spadix if you are not wanting an Emperor or Heterometrus.
If you like them you can get others if you want.
BTW Welcome to the Boards ;)

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hehe thank you very much, damn I like those 3 scorps so much, I might even have to go with all three lol...but still I'd like to know life span of s. maurus...

I'll take everyones advice tho and I guess I have to get a H. arizonesis as well...since its a must have :)

so I'll go with scorpio maurus, Tityus forcipula (ecuador) and Hadrurus arizonensis... :D

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B. tunetanus use its tail when killing prey.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where did you find Tityus forcipula (ecuador)?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
mate, not everything you see on scorpion files can be bought... sorry to say this ;(

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not sure where you heard that scorpio maurus is short lived, the only data I've been able to find suggests it should be quite a long lived species as it has a embryonic development time of about 14 months suggesting its total life span should be relatively long, though it may be difficult to keep in captivity. I'd definitely go with H. arizonesis if I were you, a great scorpion to keep and not dangerous.

WorldTour

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
S Maurus sp. Definatly stings prey. From what I have researched they have a very painful sting (although not medically significant) though and if you get one be prepaired never to see it since its an obligatory burrower and spends more then 90% of its time under ground.

My question though after reading your first post, have you ever owned any scorps before?
-Mark

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ive seen all my scorps sting (yes.. pandinus and euscorpius too) except liocheles

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Were the Pandinus babys or something? I've never seen my imperator sting its prey.

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
alex said:
Were the Pandinus babys or something? I've never seen my imperator sting its prey.
I have never obseved my P imperators sting either. I have read or heard that Heteromotrus spp will sometimes sting prey. I have never observed this in my Opistophthalmus either.
The species with the largest chela are most like to crush prey instead of stinging it. However, there seems to be exceptions to every rule.

el_barto

Arachnopeon
My Hottentotta Hottentotta always stings its prey, but it is a rather shy scorpion which spends most of the time in its hide, so you might prefer a more active one.