Smeringurus mesaensis

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I caught a dune scoprion [Smeringurus mesaensis] gave it a hide which it prometly and immediatly burried under [using potting soil moistend to support a borruw but will let it dry out now that he has established one] the entrance isnt sealed and he [most likely male] has dissapeared into its depths but doesnt come out at night to feed? whats the deal? lol hes been in his hole for a few days now should I be worried?

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine stayed burried for over 3 months. It molted. I'm told they can stay under for a very long time with no harmful side effects. You could always try diggin it up, but as long it seems OK I wouldn't

biznacho

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure its fine. as I see it occasionly using a flash light shinning it down the burrow. but its wc and rather skinny I jsut dont want it to exhaust itself burrowing :) and if it does recluse so much I think I may sell it.. I want something a bit more active
btw I'm keeping it at about 80f most websites I've seen recomend 90. but he seems to have lost none of his speed when I placed him in his now permament home.. lol

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
what color morph is it? solid yellow, or transparent yellow?

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
can you provide pix of both? cuss I have no clue lol. I do know that it is alot lighter then any of them that I've seen. so I would say transparent yellow.. heck sometimes it gives off an almost green look lol.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think its closer to the second one.. nbot as dark as the first..

Last edited:

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they almost look like ghosts, they are so transparent

buthidae46290

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I ordered one off that site recently along with C. vitattus and exilcauda. They havent arrived yet but I hope mine is that coloration. :)

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you are sooo lucky!!! you caught it? where? i thought they only lived in sand dunes.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
on a mountain :) If you want I can go out again and try and find more to sell ya? lol
I've found a total of 3 or 4 species around here.
Actualy I was follwoing a bike path around the mtn and found a choppedu p tree [this is strangly the usual place I find scorpions] you know where the trunk is cut into sections and is flat on either side.. well I found if its laying on a flat side theirs usualy a scorpion underneath so I flipped it [after flipping alot bigger things finding nothing-exhasted sigh lol-] andthere was two of them. I think it was a female and this guy. The female darted I snatched at it with a lid to cover it only to find it not there.. lifted up my boot and noticed the male was undeer neath my foot and tried to make a mad dash before I grabbed him. For the record the ground was very dry dust/sand mix.

Last edited:

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are they always so recluse though? I mean I put this guy in his enclosure burrows and dissapears.. doesnt come up at night or anything lol.. I just dug him up for a photo shoot. put him in a deli cup and for the heck of it put am oth in there [and he actualy ate!!]
I keep him on 4 inch peat with a piece of flat bark partly burried for him to excavate his burrow under, at about 80 f

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the scorp in that pic is no smeringus, it looks like a vaejovis coahuilae

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also this lil one is a fiesty lil son of a <edited> either running faster then I can keep up or stinging like amd repediatly.. I've housed scorps before and hes the only one I've seen that stings so many times and so quickly.. I think if he were to tag me it would be 4 or 5 times before I could pull away lol.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pandinus said:
the scorp in that pic is no smeringus, it looks like a vaejovis coahuilae
Really?
I'm not very good at identification. I go by picture reference and the pictures that best match him were the dune scorps.
His tail seems alot thinner then 'vaejovis coahuilae' I believe thats why I ruled it out in the first place.

Last edited:

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
maybe i just saw the pics wrong, but answer these

does it have:
red tipped claws
a somewhat fat tail
a triangle notch on the 5th metasomal segment
a sort of striped tail?