Shipping from US to Canada?

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi all!

Over the years, I've had as many Canadians as "United States-ians" inquire about the spiders I occasionally sell.
I never know quite how to respond, as I am concerned about the best methods and also legal issues.
Does anyone have any experience shipping to the Great White North? Any Canadians who have received shipments from the US?
I "applied" to join the Canadian forum on this site in order to learn more about this, but I'm not registered yet.

-Garrick

CIRE

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I haven't ordered from the States, but I would love the opportunity to, if it was problem free...the "problem" is, I don't want to risk having any "PROBLEMS" ;) ...as you can tell, I am somewhat worried that there may be some issues with shipping them across the border...

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are a gazillion issues.
The sender assumes full responsibility for what is being shipped, that's first off.
Second, there is certain paperwork required for specific species, as I recall, both for the sender and receiver...
And that is if you are going to follow the appropriate chain of command.

You could always risk sending overnight using UPS or FedEx, but, and this is a big but, any package entering the US or Canada is scanned.

I just sent something overnight to a friend, no spider of course, but this is the message I get when tracking the package:

A NON-CUSTOMS GOVERNMENT AGENCY HOLD CAUSED THIS DELAY

Repeatedly... so now the gift that was to arrive on Friday is being held by some mysterious agency... and where there was mention of rescheduled delivery for Monday it now doesn't mention it...

So, yes, decidedly risky for unimportant things, far too risky for valuable spiders, most of which, I am fairly certain are available here anyway through Martin.

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
usumbaraboy said:
i didnt knwo there was a canadian forum whats the site?
Go to USER CP then when you are on that page go to Group Memberships and then you will see the Canadian forum and the European Forum :)

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dont bother with an overnight to canada. it takes jsut as long as a normal delivery I did it before. as for gboverment investigations I've never heard of it. unless their x ray scanned. packiing is intack the same way I packed it.
makes me wonder if we're jsut paranoid. I mean why not just ship it with a fony or no return address? is it just cuss it costs more/takes mroe time risking a dead specimen?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If someone from Canada was wanting to buy from someone in America, the chances are that it is likely a rare spider that is not available here...
So, likely $200 plus, right?
AND in american currency...
I don't think many people would want to risk that kind of investment, and if I was a dealer there is no way I would guarantee life arrival due to the unknowns involved.
If my very harmless pk can't make it there, I would not trust sending anything alive!
And shipping is about $60 overnight as well, which for the record, really would have made it overnight if not for your mystery government agency being snoopy...

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sheri said:
If someone from Canada was wanting to buy from someone in America, the chances are that it is likely a rare spider that is not available here...
So, likely $200 plus, right?
AND in american currency...
I don't think many people would want to risk that kind of investment, and if I was a dealer there is no way I would guarantee life arrival due to the unknowns involved.
If my very harmless pk can't make it there, I would not trust sending anything alive!
And shipping is about $60 overnight as well, which for the record, really would have made it overnight if not for your mystery government agency being snoopy...
Odd. I spent 60 canadian for over night to america it took 3-7 days [varying upon package] my girfriend shipped freom here to where I was [california to ontario if anyone was wondering where we were shipping from] it took the same. where as at half the price priority took 5-7 days.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hmmm, I sent something using Canada Post, big mistake, I am surprised it ever arrived...
But UPS guarantees overnight unless its molested by the government... for about $60.

Anyway, I am not entirely sure this is the correct forum to be discussing this in...

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Customs is not the only agency with border search authority. There's USDA, USFWS, FDA, DEA, Public Health, to name a few. If you're planning on exporting from the US, PM me, include the species you're sending, and I'll tell you what you need.

sektone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ou tof curiousity what kind of law are brokenwhen sending a t from us to america? and what are the penalties?

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
sektone said:
ou tof curiousity what kind of law are brokenwhen sending a t from us to america? and what are the penalties?
Todd Gearheart recently explained this to me. I can't seem to find my notes on this subject at the moment, but if I do I'll post them.
In order to do this legally, you need to contact USFWS for an export license, which is a yearly fee. In addition to that, there is an inspection fee. Not to mention you need additional paperwork if it's a CITES animal.
Failure to follow these rules can net you a fine of $5,000. That's for a non CITES animal. A CITES animal would probably net you jail time.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dam that <edited out> really sucks. Guess I liek breaking the law and have yet to be caught :)