Need Palm Springs Area Desert Scorp Id

Carolina_wolfie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, fellow scorp-lovers!

I am a new member here. I recently joined Archnoboards. So, I haven't had a chance to do my profile yet (I am still trying to figure out what to say in my profile).

Anyway... years ago, I had collected a scorp in the Palm Springs area located in the desert. It is still thriving today. I think it might be the California Hairy Scorpion (Hadrurus obscurus). However, I am not sure. My scorp is fairly good-sized and the tips of the claws have a reddish color. Can anyone please give me a positive identification on what I have? Thanks!

I've tried posting pics of my scorp here. However, they are too large. So, here are two links which will direct you to a couple of my pics:

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.php?photo=165809&size=big

and

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.php?photo=165808&size=big

Take care,
Terry

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks somewhat like the spcies of Scorp I've caught around here a few times.. I have a juvie male atm I think I got it identiified as a Veajeus species.. [I really need to remember that name..]

Carolina_wolfie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello!

Thanks for the possible ID. I was looking at some pics of various Vaejovis species and a couple of them do look like what I have. However, one or two Hadrurus species also look like what I have. Now I am REALLY confused! Oh, well... Hopefully, sooner or later somebody will give me a positive ID on my scorp.

Take care,
Terry

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I now Redirect you to the one I caught that just died :( but since its dead should be able to get better ID photos. Click Me!!!!

Carolina_wolfie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am sorry to hear about your scorp dying. Yes, it looks somewhat like the one I have.

Take care,
Terry

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've caught several of them around here, and I know it sucks but I figured hed either molt or die soon cuss of his recent behavior.. was looking to make a communal once I caught more so bleh.. but yeah, hopefully one of us will get them ID'd so that we can figure out what species it is lol

Carolina_wolfie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Scorp Has Finally Been Identified!

Hello!

Well, I finally have a positive ID on my desert scorp. The species which I have is... drum roll... Smeringurus vachoni. It is closely related to the "sand dune scorp" (Smeringurus mesaensis).

Take care,
Terry