Giant Spider

Carolina_wolfie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, fellow arachnid-lovers!

I am a new member here. I recently joined Archnoboards. So, I haven't had a chance to do my profile yet (I am still trying to figure out what to say in my profile).

Anyway... I went to a 600 acre ranch (out in the country) here in Oklahoma with a friend of mine and I had a major blast!!! I caught some wolf spiders and a large adult female fishing spider. The fun part of my trip is when I used a headlamp and went hunting for wolf spiders (Hogna sp.) and fishing spiders (Dolomedes sp.) at night. I think this is the the best method to use for collecting these spiders because their eyeshine makes it very easy to spot them. By the way, I caught two juvenile specimens of my #1 favorite species of wolf spider. The species which I am referring to is the Carolina Wolf Spider (Hogna carolinensis). I love H. carolinensis because it is the LARGEST species of wolf spider in North America (3 to 4 inches legspan). Plus, they make fascinating pets! Their habitat is open fields, meadows, etc... The female H. carolinensis constructs a burrow (which can be lured out by sticking a long piece of grass into the burrow and "fishing" the spider out). I can't wait to see my two juveniles grow and have them reach adult size! They will be "monsters"!!! By the way, the adult female of the species can live for 3 years (or a little over that). The male's lifespan is shorter, of course. Most species of wolf spiders live 2 years or less. I collected another species of wolf spider which I think is a type of forest wolf spider (not sure which species though). The fishing spider which I collected belongs to the genus Dolomedes. She is a large adult female with a legspan of over 3 inches!!! I caught her at a creek resting on a boulder near the water's edge. Fishing spiders of the genus Dolomedes are amphibious and they have been known to catch the occasional tadpole or minnow. Plus, given their large size... they can tackle prey such as small frogs, small lizards, etc... However, their main prey are insects.

I have enclosed a few links which will direct you to three pics of my adult female fishing spider. She is HUGE!!! I hope you like my pics. Please let me know what you think.

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.php?photo=161644&size=big

and

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.php?photo=161640&size=big

and

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.php?photo=161639&size=big

Take care,
Terry

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very Nice catch! keep up the good work and am glad to see another educated hobbyist join or little gathering!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't I know you from somewhere? {D
This for sure is a good time of year to look for spiders

Carolina_wolfie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello!

Thanks for the kind welcome. I think I will make myself right at home here.

Take care,
Terry

Carolina_wolfie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, Brian!

Yep, I know you from the Insect Hobbyist board. It is great to see you over here also. Have you caught any spiders lately?

Take care,
Terry

Carolina_wolfie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
By the way, everyone... I'll be posting pics of my adult female Rabid Wolf Spider and her spiderlings soon. Oh, and i'll also be posting a couple of pics of my juvenile female Carolina Wolf Spider. Keep an eye out for them.

Take care,
Terry

Last edited: