jumping spiders are awesome!!...looking for pics and wondering who is selling them

alex21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am currently raising a black jumping spider with a red marking on its back. it is such an aggressive hunter. i'd like to find about more different types of jumping spiders. if you have pics of jumping spiders, please post them on this thread or send them to me via email to erik_ut_2001@yahoo.com . also, if anybody knows where i can purchase jumping spiders, let me know

thanks

orcrist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a black one with 3 orange dots on its back, and it's 15 mm long and 8 mm wide. I agree that jumping spiders are pretty cool, and I'm interested in pretty much any spider that hunts, like jumping spiders, wolfies, and fishing spiders. Do you have any pics? I can post some of my own tomorrow.

Lochala

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you live in the U.S. or southern Canada you should be able to find them in your backyard. ;)

orcrist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's the one I was telling you about with the orange dot...

Jumping spider

I caought him a few weeks ago up here in NY state. During the winter, they tend to show up inside the house, so keep your eyes open... they're there for the ants that invariably also show up. Up here the ones with the black+grey bodies that imitate lichen with the pattern are the most common.
Try to keep them in large containers.

gdfelas

Arachnopeon
Is this a jumping spider???

If so i have them all over the place.. after reading your post i went caught 5 of them and took this picture. WOW they are fast and TINY. do they get bigger. they are fun to watch !

Attachments

orcrist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, you think the little ones are fast... Those big ones seem impossible to catch most of the time. You just plop a jar down over the little ones, they can't cover the ground fast enough. You try that on a big one, though, and you either miss or squash it because they're so fast.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i like em a lot too. had a few of them always hanging around the door to my apt when i'd get home from work in the summer :) it's great how they seem to track you with their eyes!

i caught one at work about a month ago that from leg tip to leg tip, front to back was about 7/8" long...black with white tipped pedipalps (male, lil boxer) and some small white dots on it's abdomen. very cool looking, i let it go on the windowsill that night and turned the light on for a while to attract bugs for it.